Finish tape edges standing up

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Roger
Veteran Member

Finish tape edges standing up

Post by Roger »

I primered my left wing today, and when I finished, I see quite a lot of the pinked edges sticking up. I plan on sanding the first coat tomorrow. Some ideas on getting the pinked edges to lie down anyone?? All help is much appreciated.
Thanks
Roger
Wes
Premium Member

Pinked Edges

Post by Wes »

Roger,
Lifting of the pinked edges is a 'given', at least with the Polyfiber process I 've been using.
The worst appears to be on the first prime coat, then much less as coatings are put on.
The best result we had was using a piece of thin teflon sheet under the iron at 250 to 280 deg to press the edges back down.
Tedious work, but better results than sanding which tends to fray the edges.
With more coats, the teflon/iron is less effective and sanding is the only way to flatten the trash sticking out of the coatings.
Ironing at 250 will flatten almost any glue or Polybrush lumps, but a bare iron will leave nasty looking marks that will continue to show thru all the following coats.  (you might ask how I know that --  :lol: ).

Good Luck,

Wes
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Roger,
At this point the only thing you can do is some careful heat smoothing with low heat (200-250)and a turkey bag material between the iron and surface.  Yes I said turkey bag, the kind  you use for cooking turkeys in.  The bag can take lots of heat without melting and keeps the iron from sticking to and lifting the primer.  Additional coats of primer and light sanding will also eventually reduce the tape edges.  Before you prime make sure you heat smooth all tape edges and you won't have as much of a problem.  

Steve
Roger
Veteran Member

Finish tape

Post by Roger »

Thanks to you all that responded. I'll get a turkey bag tomorrow to iron over.
Roger
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Also for anyone not here yet when you put the tapes down always put the inside of the roll down. There is a natural crown to the tape and if turened over will always stick up. Then when finished set the (hobby iron) to 250 deg. and iron the edges down quickly, if you go to slow you will shrink the tape and it will show as a crocked line. Also turn the iron up after all edges are ironed and iron all places where the tapes touch the metal, press pretty hard here so you get all the air bubles and glue melted in about (300) deg works here.   Jak

Return to “Just Aircraft”