Orange Peel

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Orange Peel

Post by b1x4nqb »

OK, I learned what "orange peel" means.  I believe it is because I applied the paint in a hot environment above 90 degree's (we're in a hot spell in PA and I did it in the coolest part of the day -Midnight) and I also had the gun a little farther away to keep it smooth.  I think I should have held the gun closer and applied it in a thicker layer.  I also want to apply it going forward when the temperatures are in the lower 80's.  Possibly it is the way I have the gun set up as well but I'm thinking it is more of the first two issues.  I have it across my plane however it is pretty smooth to the touch and I only have my first cross coat of white paint on.  I tried wet sanding it all away but to get it to go altogether would take me down into the primer coats.  Because it is pretty smooth feeling to the touch, can I continue applying top coats but in a cooler environment and apply them in a thicker layer to fill in and eliminate them going forward or do I need to sand down and redo??  Not sure if further coats will just enhance them or not.

Paul, PA
rgmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rgmullins »

If you're using polyfiber, I would highly recommend you call them. everytime I had a question they were VERY helpful

In my experience, orange peel was usually caused by not having enough reducer, the paint was too thick. You need it really thin to cover smoothly. But that also means it runs easily.

Also, when wet sanding, be careful when sanding across frame members or later you'll find all your tapes have shallow grooves running down the middle of them right above the underlying tube. (don't ask how I know...)
Rick Mullins #144
Cincinnati

Return to “Just Aircraft”