Best placement of magnetic sensor for Enigma?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Best placement of magnetic sensor for Enigma?

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Where's others putting it? Looks like wingtip has least ferrous material.
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

we made a mount for ours under the top of the dash cover where it sits level. So far in the plane the compass reads ok but I do not think it is the best place for it at all. It is probably best put into the fiberglass wingtip where it can be assured a metal free surrounding. At the point we installed it we figured it was way too much work to stick it out in the tip and we will see how it works where it is for now and if it is no good we will than relocate it but so far so good.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

gme9261236 wrote:we made a mount for ours under the top of the dash cover where it sits level. So far in the plane the compass reads ok but I do not think it is the best place for it at all. It is probably best put into the fiberglass wingtip where it can be assured a metal free surrounding. At the point we installed it we figured it was way too much work to stick it out in the tip and we will see how it works where it is for now and if it is no good we will than relocate it but so far so good.
Yeah, lots more work out on the tip. Matt and I didn't see there was anywhere else to get 3' from ferrous material soooo, out on the tip it goes, attached to the rib.
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

It would not be a big deal at all if it wasnt so late in the game. The instrument panel was pretty much the last thing we did and everything else was buttoned up and put back together so we stuck it. So far so good on the taxi test it seems to be reading ok but in hindsight after 17 months of building I should have taken the 1 hour it would have taken and routed it out there to the wingtip.

With GPS who uses compasses anyway?!
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

update:
Just got back from more taxiing (we have to wait until the DAR gets back from vacation now for a July 1 inspection)

I lined up on our runway 20 with a 201 heading and the enigma read 200. From what I understand if there is GPS signal the GPS will correct the heading. I am not too sure about the GPS deal with the heading but regardless it read dead on.

do I have a moral of the story...not really. Stick it to the wing and be done with it.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

gme9261236 wrote:update:
Just got back from more taxiing (we have to wait until the DAR gets back from vacation now for a July 1 inspection)

I lined up on our runway 20 with a 201 heading and the enigma read 200. From what I understand if there is GPS signal the GPS will correct the heading. I am not too sure about the GPS deal with the heading but regardless it read dead on.

do I have a moral of the story...not really. Stick it to the wing and be done with it.
Glad it's working for you!
I'm still not real sure why the magnetic sensor is needed at all but it sounded like just satellites was not sufficient for all the Enigma flight instruments. Maybe we'll learn more...
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

gme9261236 wrote:update:

Well we stuck the magnetic sensor out on the wing tip just aft of the forward spar and it is dead nuts, right on.

Return to “Just Aircraft”