Escapade Folding Wing and Jabiru questions?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
juliant
Seasoned Member

Escapade Folding Wing and Jabiru questions?

Post by juliant »

Hi
I'm Julian from New Zealand.
I've just joined the group and am looking at building the Escapade
I have searched the net to try and find a picture of the Escapade/highlander with wings folded, but no luck. Anybody got pictures they could post please?
Also what's the opinion on folding wings, is two minutes realistic, and are they sturdy once folded (for trailering etc) ?
Do you think it would be feasible to frequently fold away for hangerage or would the holes in the spars/struts get flogged out after a while?
Anybody flying with a Jabiru 2200 ? how does it perform ?
Sorry for all the questions?
I've scratch built a CH701 and a Teenie Two with a Jabiru, and want to make the right decision on my third and final aicraft (famous last words!!)

Cheers
Julian
NZ
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

I have a highlander that I keep in my garage at home.  I fold the wings every time I fly.  So far no problems, the pins and bolts are still tight.  There are several that trailer the plane with wings folded, I fly mine out of a field in front of the house.

I will post a couple photos here with the wings folded.

Dave

DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

I fogot to comment on the time to fold issue.  I roll the plane out of the garage and it takes me 20 minutes to fold out the wings, put the turtle deck on, fuel up the plane and preflight it.  I would say that the wings fold out in 5 minutes, including the turtle deck.  Very easy, one person job to fold/unfold the wings.

I do not have any first hand experience with the plane and the Jabiru.

DAve
juliant
Seasoned Member

Post by juliant »

Thanks Dave for the comments and pictures,
cheers
Julian
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Julian,

Also you may want to do a search for Alan's plane on here, from Texas.  He has pictures of his wings folded as well.  

With respect to the Jabaru engine, I have heard the factory has had issues with their Highlander and the Jabaru 3300 keeping cool.  If I'm correct, someone recently said they just had the engine rebuilt and it still has cooling issues.  I couldn't even fly in it while I was in town due to it's cooling issues.

Again, someone on here had one built with a Jabaru and if I'm not mistaken it also has cooling issues their trying to work out.  I could be wrong on this so I don't want to start any rumors, just want to pass on what I've been hearing with that engine combo.  I never heard anyone using the 2200, but from other internet searches that engine seemed to run much cooler.  Obviously, 4 vs 6 cylinders will operate with less heat output.

I'm sure someone on here will pipe up with actual Jabaru experience and be able to set you straight.

Paul
juliant
Seasoned Member

Post by juliant »

Hi Paul
Here in NZ I have also heard of cooling issues on the 3300 6 cylinder , I intend to use the 4 cylinder 2200, which I have been using for the last year with no issues. In fact my biggest problem was getting it to run hotter, even covered up most of the oil cooler !
Its rated 85hp so am hoping for similar performance to the 912 80 hp

Julian
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

The primary reason why the Highlander is having cooling issues with the 3300 is that the cowl isn't able to dump the hot cowl air fast enough.  The current cowl configuration Just is using for the 3300 can't possibly have enough exit air flow for the cowl air to escape.  According to the Jabiru folks itneeds to have an exit air opening at least 3 times that of the size of the air intake.  GaryH is currenly in the process of configuring his cowl to meet the 3 to 1 rule.  

Steve
splash_womble

Post by splash_womble »

We have an Escapade in the UK. It's made by Reality Aircraft. They've split away from Just Aircraft now and make much of the kit in the UK. Until recently they've been microlights (less the 450kg) but there's a couple of Group A's flying now. Most use the Jab 4 cylinder, but the 80hp Rotax is also popular. There's one flying with the UL Power engine and one more being built. I don't have one, just wishing.... You can search UK registrations on G-Info You'll see we have 29 flying.
ftcaruso
Seasoned Member

Post by ftcaruso »

I now have logged 30 hours on my Highlander with a Jabriu 3300, and I absolutely LOVE that engine.  It is smooth, quiet, and at 120 hp, powerful.  It even sounds like a real airplane motor, and still costs less than the Rotex 912.

By experimenting with the cylinder cooling box baffling size and shapes we have gotten the temps into an acceptable range.  A larger than normal oil cooling radiator, along with some trimming of the bottom cowl has brought those temperatures also into range.  Last weekend I made a 5 hour cross country round trip from Clemson to Hilton Head, SC in 100+ surface temperatures and found everything running cool at both 5,500 going and 8,500 returning.  I am attaching a photo of my Dynon, showing those temps.  I can now heartily recommend the Jabriu...something that I was not that sure of a few months ago.

Frank Caruso :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

congrats Frank!   :D
What do you get for cruise with that engine?  Weight ok?  I really like the rotax 912s I have.  
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
ftcaruso
Seasoned Member

Post by ftcaruso »

Thanks Dennis.  You will recall that at the Clemson Humane Soc. fly-in we were still struggling with the heating problems.  It’s good to seem them finally resolved, thanks mainly to Troy .  We must have had that cowl off and back on a dozen or more times.

My outside air temp probe is defective, and I am awaiting a replacement from Dynon.  So, on my flight last weekend I couldn’t bring up the Cal. air speed and could only see indicated and ground speeds on my panel.  Most of the time the 80-82 mph indicated equated to a 80-82 kph ground speed, (see attached AvMap photo) which would equal 92-94 mph.  However, since my speeds were about the same both going and returning, I would assume a little or no wind condition aloft.  While I was able to get up to an indicated 94 mph indicated at 2700 rpm, I was not happy about the 5.9 gph fuel flow, and opted for a 12-14 mph speed reduction at 1.5 gal lesser fuel consumption by bringing the RPM down to 2500.  But its nice to know that I can probably attain a 105-107 actual air speed if I ever need it.  Of course the plane was light, with only me and my fuel and 1 suitcase on board.  

Right now we are on the final week of punch list items and I should be ready to be on my big trip around the US in about 2 weeks.

Frank
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Glad to see another one airborne, and that you've got the heating probs on the run. If your itinerary takes you near Seattle let me know, we have lots of room for visitors.

Return to “Just Aircraft”