What type/size props are you guys using?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
mcjon77

What type/size props are you guys using?

Post by mcjon77 »

Just wanted to get a quick idea of what make/size propeller is being used within the Just Aircraft community.

Thanks,

Jon
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I use a 72" Ivo Patriot in-flight adjustable and like it.  I also have a 75" Kiev that I've got about 400 hrs on.  For absolute best possible short take off the Kiev wins by a little, but when it is pitched for take off, cruise sucks.  I am seriously into short field and I like the Ivo because I can still cruise good and take off short.  Even as ground adjustable the Ivo has a lot wider speed range.  If Kiev ever comes out with in-flight adj I will get one. If you don't care that much about really short take-offs then the Kiev pitched for cruise is smooth and quiet.  The Kiev is a much nicer looking prop to me. Looks like a piece of art.
Just my 2 cents, Steve :wink:
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Steve,

I have a Kiev in the box about to go on in the next couple of weeks.  I wish someone had the $ to buy a bunch and do test flights.  I saw a "you-tube" comparison once that covered a lot of them and they all came pretty close to one another.  The Kiev was one he didn't test but had someone elses plane I think with one on to try.  The others he tried on his own plane.

Paul
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

b1x4nqb wrote:Steve,

I have a Kiev in the box about to go on in the next couple of weeks.  I wish someone had the $ to buy a bunch and do test flights.  I saw a "you-tube" comparison once that covered a lot of them and they all came pretty close to one another.  The Kiev was one he didn't test but had someone elses plane I think with one on to try.  The others he tried on his own plane.

Paul
We're waiting for a replacement medium weight, 3 blade Ivoprop because 3 bolt holes in the blades were molded in about 1/4 to 1/2 a bolt diameter off. Couldn't even get the outer hub on!

We'll probably start with the Ivo because it's easier to adjust pitch, then compare with our medium weight Warpdrive. I expect to be in climb prop all the time, as is typical of many amphibs due to so much drag. If we do get enough difference with varying pitches/turbo boosting, I'll probably go to the variable pitch Warpdrive, 2 blade because it adds no weight way out front as the electric Ivoprop does.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

By the way, we sent back individual blades from BOTH brands mentioned above for wavy imperfections showing in the blade surfaces. Check whatever blades you intend to fly behind very well...
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Hey, guys & gals,

I am using a 70 in Warp drive, three blade. We have 190 hours and will be doing our second annual this month. There have been no problems at all with this prop. It might not be as easy to adjust the pitch as the Ivo, but you will probably only set it two or three times and then leave it be. This prop is made entirely of carbon fibre strands, no core of any kind. Troy told me he has a friend who uses it, attached to his airplane, to mow his strip.   :twisted:

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

taildrgfun wrote:I use a 72" Ivo Patriot in-flight adjustable and like it.  I also have a 75" Kiev that I've got about 400 hrs on.  For absolute best possible short take off the Kiev wins by a little, but when it is pitched for take off, cruise sucks.  I am seriously into short field and I like the Ivo because I can still cruise good and take off short.  Even as ground adjustable the Ivo has a lot wider speed range.  If Kiev ever comes out with in-flight adj I will get one. If you don't care that much about really short take-offs then the Kiev pitched for cruise is smooth and quiet.  The Kiev is a much nicer looking prop to me. Looks like a piece of art.
Just my 2 cents, Steve :wink:
The inflight adjustable sounds cool. How much difference in speed do you get between climb and cruise settings?

Return to “Just Aircraft”