Highlander Build Space

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
jack53

Highlander Build Space

Post by jack53 »

You 're refitting my existing shop, a 16x24 ranch outbuilding to handle building a Highlander. 110 and 220v are in. It has a concrete floor that is ballpark flat and an 8' sliding door on one end. Drill press, grinder with Multi-Tool attachment, small wire welder, no band saw. Big vise and anvil. Compressor. Stripper pole. Pretty basic, but has good ghosts.
First of all, is it even big enough to consider. Remember, I've not yet seen a finished model up close, I've only seen aircraft specs and photos. No idea as to shipping crate sizes, weight etc. Where and with what would you start with your infill in expectation of a kit showing up at the door?
What have you found that made life easier or was absolutely  necessary to have and what would you have possibly changed had you have known better? Buying a boat is not an acceptable answer
Whats the best and worst of  Corner in? Nose out/in?. What sort of worktable, best placement  & size? Just stuff to cut down on the "How come ya dints"
You get my drift. I'm already looking for somebody else to blame schmidt on.
I've got a game plan but you guys have been there, and for all my horseing around here, I have respect and admiration for that.

Generalities or specifics; all ideas and suggestions are genuinely welcomed and appreciated even though I can guarantee some will be absolutely ignored or out right stolen and laid claim to.
Jack

Ps. Thanks, Michael. I'll try Just again.
J
rgmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rgmullins »

That sounds about the same size shop we built in. After a while you start moving and raising your head slower but it worked. Wish I had thought of a stripper pole though. Could have helped in some of dark times when things weren't going as well as we would have liked. You'll have to let us know how that part works out.

If you don't have fixtures to mount the wing and fuse to while working/covering them, make a set. They will totally be worth it..
Rick Mullins #144
Cincinnati
jack53

Post by jack53 »

Nice Rick, By a fixture are you talking like a spinning jig of some sort? When the wings are on and covered do they still come all the way off or are they to the point where they  just  become only foldable? Whats your thoughts on some sort of air/dust exrtraction sytem- something like a small squirrell cage with a vent line? Important, nice to have or just something else to trip over? As for the pole 8' of 1-1/4 pipe (we use galvy; this is May heifer country) and a CD of Rick .James "SuperFreak - you'll be golden.
Later
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Not sure how you can build in such a small place.  It took my 40 X 60 hangar to do mine and I could have used more room  :P
But then I like things "spread out"!  
You will need a spinning rack for both the wings and fuselage.  I used one on one end and just a saw horse on the other.  After the fuselage I switched the tips and made it workable for the wings.  This makes both the building and covering much easier.  
You really need to look through this forum.  Loads of hot air...I mean information  :lol:
I know the guys on this forum half built mine.  Here is a pic.
Dennis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

The build will expand to fit the space available.  You could build this plane in a single stall garage if you had to.  I used a 24x36 garage, and this allowed me to have the wings on and extended for rigging and setting all of the ailerons and flaps at the same time.  You could get by with less, you would just have to organize.

No special build table is needed if you go with the quick build wings, and I would have the wings set to the fuselage at the factory, an option that saves a lot of head scratching.  A couple folding tables to work on is what I used.  I made the inside of the garage into a paint booth when the time came.

Dave
KevinC
Veteran Member

stuff to have

Post by KevinC »

I used an engine stand and a saw horse to rotate the fuselage and built a wing rotator from 2x lumber.  Worked great.  Here are some pix.

other stuff:
good cordless drill and aircraft quality bits
hole duplicator
long #30 drill (for wing assembly - pix of use elsewhere on forum)
pneumatic rivet puller
beer fridge

Kevin

John S

Post by John S »

Hi, Kevin,
Nice looking wing rotisserie.  How do you separate the end supports when you want to remove or mount the wing in the fixture?

John S
John Smoyer
jack53

Post by jack53 »

Ahole duplicator??
jack53

Post by jack53 »

Sorry. Imissed the space bar.  A        hole duplicator??
KevinC
Veteran Member

toolz

Post by KevinC »

John - the pvc cap on the near end is removable (see the black screw holding it in place) so you can slip it through the hole in the 2x6.  The other end is cut out and the cap is glued in place.  Put the pvc pieces in the spars, slip one side in & cap it and viola...

Jack - my wife says I am one and can't be duplicated.  Here's a link to them @ Spruce:  http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/t ... cators.php

k
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

I made a poor mans duplicator to use for the cowling fitting by bending a small piee of aluminum in half then drilling a hole through the end.  By slipping an "unpulled" rivet in the one side from the inside out and having the actual part that breaks off extend out the other side it was perfect for lining up the holes and and drilling blind.  I'll take a pic tomorrow if anyone is interested.  Just a real last minute time saver that worked out perfect.

Paul, PA

Return to “Just Aircraft”