"N" numbers

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Roger
Veteran Member

"N" numbers

Post by Roger »

Has the FAA changed the size of the N numbers yet? In the packet I received from them a couple of years ago, it appears if the aircraft has an airspeed of less then 180 Knts., it needs only have 3" numbers. Over 180, 12" numbers.
Roger
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Re: "N" numbers

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Roger wrote:Has the FAA changed the size of the N numbers yet? In the packet I received from them a couple of years ago, it appears if the aircraft has an airspeed of less then 180 Knts., it needs only have 3" numbers. Over 180, 12" numbers.
Roger
Also bear in mind that if you want to go into Mexico (maybe Canada too) you need the 12" N#s, I believe actually PAINTED ON, not stuck on, and as original equipment as well, not an alteration.
Roger
Veteran Member

"N" numbers

Post by Roger »

Thanks Dave. I'm pretty sure your right about Canada too.
Roger
KevinC
Veteran Member

reference?

Post by KevinC »

This thread got me thinking - since I was planning to use 3" numbers on the tail.  This is the only reference I could find - from the EAA website in an article on flying homebuilts to Canada:
Registration Marks

The six inch fuselage or tail numbers and 20 inch under wing numbers on Canadian aircraft are acceptable in the US. US aircraft having smaller 2" to 3" numbers must temporarily affix 12" numbers when entering any ADIZ or DEWIZ, but 2-3" numbers are acceptable for crossing the Canadian border. Check your chart to determine if you will penetrate an ADIZ or DEWIZ during your flight.
Any other references out there?

Kevin[/b]

Return to “Just Aircraft”