egt probes

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

egt probes

Post by b1x4nqb »

Is anyone else using the bayonet style egt probes from Westach?  I'm looking at them and I'm guessing they install by inserting the silicone tip portion into the pipe then just tightening down on the nut??  Most I've seen use the screw drive type of clamp that holds it in place.  The paperwork gives no instructions except to say you don't need to remove the nut but I don't clearly see what holds it on yet without a clamp.  

One piece of information I did read was to mount the probes 2 inches back from the exhaust port on the 912.  Everyone agree?

Thanks,
Paul, PA
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

I'm using the Westach duel egt gauge and their bayonet style probe which are held in by hose clamps, see pic.

The install manual states to take the egt readings 100mm or 3.93" from exhaust flange connections.

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

I got ahold of Westach today.  They said this series is a tap type.  I need to drill and tap an 8x1mm hole for it to screw into.  Wish I knew I needed to buy another tool.  Oh well, hopefully I can use it for something else when I'm done.  As for the blue silicone, it is simply there to protect the threads until placement on the exhaust.  Remove it and throw it away.  LOL, I thought it had a useful purpose other than shipping.  As for the distance, she said that at 6 inches back I would get the best performance and reading.  I could go as close as 3 inches but 6 was optimal.

Paul, PA
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Paul,
I'm not sure how you are going to get any thread that will hold up against vibration in that thin wall exhaust pipe unless you weld a thicker mounting plate to the pipe to thread thru. I can see that ejecting itself fairly quickly without that extra material but I don't know that for a fact. I also would use the measuements that rotax states not Westach.

Steve
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

I agree, I am sending the probes back and they are going to ship me out a set of the ones with the clamps on them.  They assumed I had the stock Rotax exhaust which apparently has threaded holes already.  I have the 4 into 1 from Sorenson which is clean walled with no tabs to drill, etc.  Image

Return to “Just Aircraft”