Gas Tanks!!! WARNING

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Tazz

Tanks

Post by Tazz »

Gary,

You stated in your posting on customer service that you and Just have a resolution on the fuel tank problem, BUT you don't say what it is. How about sharing the info on this critical matter.

Thanks,
rgmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rgmullins »

I just got off the phone with Troy. I think they are going to post themselves but here is what he told me. He has been in contact with the guy that has been manufacturing his tanks for the last 5 or so years and he is doing everything just as he always has but he is looking in to it. In the meantime Troy went through his tanks and found one that was tacky inside. He rinsed it out with a gallon of lacquer thinner and it came out very yellow colored.  He repeated it again and it the lacquer thinner was less colored. The third time it came out clear and the inside of the tank was not tacky.

That would explain my experience. I put about 6 gallons in mine and taxied it around. A few days later I taxied it out so the FAA could do their thing and the plane ran like crap. We drained the gas out and it it was very cloudy and we had a build up in the carbs and intake manifolds. We replaced the gas and cleaned it up and it's running great again. The gas we drained that has been in it for a week looked fine. I've got my fingers crossed that will be the end of the issue for me
Rick Mullins #144
Cincinnati
Gary H
Veteran Member

Gas Tanks

Post by Gary H »

As of this time I am making a mock lay up with lamining resin. I am going to do some testing as to what will work and what doesn't work. Either take the tackey layer off or get it cure. So I really don't have an answer right now. Troy did call me and tell me the same about the lacquer thinner. I will try that along with some other ideas. I'll keep you all posted as to what happens. Troy ask me to keep him informed as well. Just aircraft has been very helpful in trying to get this resolved. If I find something that looks like it worked. I will send in a sample to the lab and have it tested.
I will keep you all posted .
Gary
Will fly for food!!
Tazz

Tanks

Post by Tazz »

Thanks for the reply. Here is what I discovered in the last couple of days that may be of some assistance. When I read the posting on the tank problems I got mine out of storage (received them in January after a six month back order). I had not done anything with them up until now. I opened the fillers and the resin smell really cleaned out the sinus. I stuck my finger in and they were quite "tacky" (this was last Friday). I wondered if having the tanks sealed from manufacture might have not allowed the resin to fully cure. I was thinking maybe the resin needs to "off gas" to fully cure and with the tanks being sealed it couldn't do it. So, since Friday I have left the caps off the tanks and once a day shoot some air into them just to keep things circulating. They have lost a lot of their "tackyness". Maybe they just need to air out for awhile? I'll be interested to hear what Just has to say.
justaircraft
Seasoned Member

Fuel Tank Problems

Post by justaircraft »

We are addressing the problem of potential contamination of the fuel from the softening of fuel tank resin.

We should have determined the impact of the situation and the corrective action later this week and you will be advised accordingly.

Regards,
Harry Berndt
Just Aircraft
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Thanks Harry we all appreciate you guys jumping on the issue

Steve
fiferphil
Premium Member

Post by fiferphil »

Hi Guys,

I've been following the forum since I started building Highlander kit #136 In March, 2007 and have found it to be most helpul. So far I've been reluctant to make postings because others have covered my concerns and problems quite well.

I am now ready to install the fuel tanks. When I saw the first posting about the fuel tank problem, I immediately went out to check mine, and I found the interiors of the tanks to be  slightly tacky. Talked to Troy and he made a recommendation that has, so far, produced favorable results at the factory.

I'll not make any pronouncements as to that recommendation untill I've had a chance to accomplish those directions and report the results back to Troy. (Don't want to steal the factory's thunder --RE: Harry Berndt's posting on 6 Aug)
Keep in mind that my tanks are not yet installed, so it will be easy for me follow Troy's recommendations -- Somtimes procrastination and slow progress are a good thing!

Hopefully this tank situaltion will turn out to be a non-issue.

Phil Gasbarro
Mount Vernon, Ohio

Phil Gasbarro
N 61VG (Kit#136)
Mount Vernon, Ohio
fiferphil@ecr.net

When I die, please let me go peacefully in my sleep - like my grandfather...and not screaming and crying like the passengers in his airplane!

Return to “Just Aircraft”