Engine Choices

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Av8r3400
Seasoned Member

Engine Choices

Post by Av8r3400 »

In reading through this forum I see there are a couple of VW powered Just aircraft flying.  I really like this airframe design and am seriously considering making the plunge.  But I am not a fan of the extreme dollars needed into get a Rotax 912/914 engine.

The Aerovee engines are very well done and I think that 80 hp would be enough for me, but has anyone built one of these planes, or a similar design (Avid, Kitfox, Sky Raider, etc.), with a reduction drive VW (100 hp) for more direct comparison to the Rotax 912ULS most commonly used?

In the other direction, has anyone ever used a 582 (or similar) 2-stroke in an airframe of this size?

Thanks in advance.  Also, thanks for a very informative forum.
Av8r3400
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

I have not used the VW engines but know several here at the airport.  They don't have many complaints as I know.  As far as the 582 I owned several.  Love that engine.  I would not recommend it for the Escapade/Highlander though.  Just would not trust it would have the power necessary for the weight of the plane.  Some really don't like the 2 strokers anyway but I am not one.  Sorry I don't have the "proof" of my claims, just my very small opinion.
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
howardjh

Post by howardjh »

Have you looked at Corvair? Flycorvair claims 100HP.  My cost est. looks like about 1/2 the 20K for a Rotax. At Arlington, a vendor I talked to (builds cranks for corvair) claims actual weight about the same as Rotax 912ULS. Any actual data from any one is welcome!
John
howardjh

engines

Post by howardjh »

Have you looked at Corvair? Flycorvair claims 100HP.  My cost est. looks like about 1/2 the 20K for a Rotax. At Arlington, a vendor I talked to (builds cranks for corvair) claims actual weight about the same as Rotax 912ULS. Any actual data from any one is welcome!
John
Av8r3400
Seasoned Member

Post by Av8r3400 »

Bump.

I'd still like to hear from people NOT using the 900 series Rotax Engines.  I know you're out there....

Thanks.
Av8r3400
jones2873
Premium Member

VW as alternative engine

Post by jones2873 »

A group of three of us have just bought an Escapade kit here in the UK and I have been tasked with the engine and wiring work, I am seriously considering the VW type4/Porsche914 engine. This engine is far more robust than the type1 can produce a lot more power reliably is easy to buy second hand from an old vanagon bus does not suffer case cracks like the type1 there is a kit of parts available from Great Plains.
The only down side is that it is a lot heavier than the type1 but by removing unwanted case material and fitting it with nikasil barrels I can get the weight down to a maximum of 170lbs.
It starts life at 2000cc and by fitting 103mm barrels and stroking it to 78mm gives a capacity of 2600cc which should easily give a genuine 90hp at about 3600 rpm.
Carburettors will be dual Stromberg CD 150's and ignition by Slick mag and secondary using VW 009 distributor and Compufire system.

I did try to purchase the accesory case from Aerovee as this is an elegant light weight solution to ignition generator and starter and would have fitted the back end of the type4 with just a slight mod to the flywheel, but after several attempts they would not sell it to me (something about bringing the good name of the AeroVee into disripute) funny how they sell the Aerocarb though which is a totally useless bit of equipment and nearly killed a friend of mine when his engine faltered on take off and no amount of adjusting and fiddling would ever put right. He ended up modifying the manifold on his aerovee in the end and fitted a Stromberg CD 150 and now it works just fine.
So we shall see how it goes.

Return to “Just Aircraft”