Oil filter removal

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Roger
Veteran Member

Oil filter removal

Post by Roger »

Does anyone remember the oil filter removal problem from a year or so ago? I'm in the process of mounting my 912 engine and tried to remove the oil filter. Doesn't want to remove. Whoever posted and overcame the problem, I'd like to hear how they acclomplished it.
Thanks
Roger
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

Post by b1x4nqb »

Type this "Rotax Oil Filter Frustration" in the search box in the upper right of your screen (search box) and you'll see Scuba's start to that discussion.

Paul, PA
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Yep, been there TWICE  :shock:
No easy way of doing it.  I finally had to drive a screwdriver through the end and turn it that way for the factory sealed one to come off.  Then my second one was way worse.  I didn't even tighten it as tight as they called for.....I had to completely distroy it to get it off.  Had to peel it off.  :?
Sorry,  Good Luck!
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
Lynng
Veteran Member

Rotax oil filters

Post by Lynng »

For a brief time the depth of the internal center post was made the wrong depth and removal and installation was effected.  Has anyone tried a steering wheel puller??
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Didn't try the steering wheel puller, I did get my friend who is 6ft 6in and 280lbs.  He was a great help  :lol:
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
gme9261236
Veteran Member

oil filter removal

Post by gme9261236 »

Mine came off for the inatial prime with only a minor dent,after a couple of hours I got a new filter,I didn't like the dent,tried the oil filter wrench, caved it in,tried the screwdriver through trick the outer shell spun in the base,pised I destroyed the filter and tried to back out the nipple with an allen wrench to break the seal ney,went to home depot and bought a large pair of chanell locks,locked on the base and it came off,the second filter came from wall mart,after 28 hours I recieved the latest kitplanes under light stuff and found out that they do not recomend any thing but a rotax filter because of a special valve in it that keeps it filtering even in bypass,I dont know how but for waranty and sanity got two more from leaf today,heading to the airport now to see how the wallmart one comes off,i'll let you know Glenn

Return to “Just Aircraft”