Float Rigging

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Lynng
Veteran Member

Float Rigging

Post by Lynng »

OK SPORTS FANS....I need as many pics, line drawings, measurements and data on float mounting on our aircraft as I can get.  I am working on a project under development for a new float manufacturer.  This may lead to a good set of floats that are less expensive and or better for our aircraft.  I need to know a starting point for spreader and struts and if anyone has resources for part supplies that would help too.  Dave....I know you have been working on something and someone had a pic of the Baumans but I need some numbers folks.  

Thanks for your help.
Lynn

8)
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Re: Float Rigging

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Lynng wrote:OK SPORTS FANS....I need as many pics, line drawings, measurements and data on float mounting on our aircraft as I can get.  I am working on a project under development for a new float manufacturer.  This may lead to a good set of floats that are less expensive and or better for our aircraft.  I need to know a starting point for spreader and struts and if anyone has resources for part supplies that would help too.  Dave....I know you have been working on something and someone had a pic of the Baumans but I need some numbers folks.  

Thanks for your help.
Lynn

8)
Hi Lynn,

We're working with a guy up north that has some experience with inflatable Full Lotus floats AND amphib gear specifically for them. Their work in their machine shop has been with planes in the Kitfox Class so even for him it's getting into heavier weights with our 1650# floats. We're mounting the floats on 6 foot centers via spreaders and stainless X-wires fore & aft.

We expect pix of the float rigging in a week or two, and only have the roughed in amphib gear pix right now. We are using the 22" tires that come with the Highlander and ~13" tires on the nose wheels. One electrohydraulic pump works the main gear piston and also a smaller piston for the nose wheels with an electric switch and gear lights in the instrument panel..

I wish you well in the float design but frankly, with all the glass, metal, and highly versatile inflated rubber floats out there, it's hard to imagine producing something new that would be any better for less money.

Return to “Just Aircraft”