N549V Flies with Continental 0200

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
cutoff1

N549V Flies with Continental 0200

Post by cutoff1 »

On Friday, October 17, our Highlander received its airworthiness certificate. We weren't able to fly it, though, until Sunday because of weather conditions, but on Sunday we were able to take it up for its first flights. Here are some photos.

One note, we had to add 7 pounds to the tail to make the weight and balance work, but other than that, everything turned out great.

Special note to DaveU - I'm glad we didn't take your suggestion and not build this plane with this engine.

If you go to YouTube.com and enter N549V, you will be able to see videos of the warm-up, take off, and a fly-by.
Bob Vaughan
500 Pass Road
Gulfport, MS 39507
251-510-7805
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Way to go Bob! Let us know about performance when you get a chance...
Av8r3400
Seasoned Member

Post by Av8r3400 »

(I'm a newbie to a/c building and a little dumb, so please forgive the remedial question.)

When using a "certified" engine are you limited to the work you can perform on the engine or does the experimental category of the a/c allow you to work on the engine, too?

Very nice looking (and sounding!!) aircraft.  Congratulations on your accomplishment!

Thanks.
Av8r3400
rgmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rgmullins »

Contgratulations! You guys kicked ass and built it pretty quick!

What did you end up with for the empty weight?
Rick Mullins #144
Cincinnati
DaveU
Veteran Member

Post by DaveU »

I did not intend to discourage experimental aviation.  What I intended was to relay the information that I gathered while researching the issue.

This was my actual post that you refer to:

"seriously considered using the 0-200.  

I do not think it is a reasonable choice for the airframe.  It exceeds the design parameters for weight on the firewall.  The usefull load will suffer.  You will likely have to put lead in the tail to get the CG in range, and the fuselage is not stressed for that type of concentrated weight.

If you must use an 0-200, build a different airplane.

Sorry to bear the news."

It does exceed the design weight for the engine, 200#.  Useful load is reduced by the extra weight of the engine and the lead in the tail.  You did have to add lead in the tail.

I am sure that you have built a great aircraft and I personally do not like the rotax and would have been much happier with an airplane engine.  I would expect that you will have no issues and enjoy your airplane more than most.

I hope your little "dig" made you feel better.  I am glad that you did not take my advice as well.  You should have learned by now that free advice is worth every penny you pay for it, and free advice on the internet is worth even less.

Dave
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

I remember these posts as well on this subject.  I remember the concern as well being the stress loads, CG and loss of useful load.  Having to add tail weight to this plane would be a concern to me.  She has plenty of wiggle room both aft and forward with any of the "standard" engines, and you having to add weight to the rear would be an alarm bell to me.  This is not a "sides" issue.  It is an information one for all those out there thinking of doing the same.  I just don't want to see anyone hurt in any of "OUR" planes.   Just for information purposes I would like to hear about what the manufacturer said about these issues, or I would like to hear about any testing done on the extra load up front.  Thanks....
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
MH434
Forum Regular

Post by MH434 »

Hi Bob

What a great effort and congratulations. I've been following your build with extra interest because I am putting a 'heavy' Rotec into my Highlander, and this will require ballast and/or fiddling with the Cof G.

I am very interested in how you managed to use so little ballast, what you moved aft etc, and how you distributed the weight. You are busy now with the flying but when you get time I look forward to hearing that and your performance figures.

I have had great support from Just re the 'heavy' engine and they see no balance or structural issues. Neither do I. I have flown many aircraft with ballast fitted and 7 pounds is peanuts in the overall scheme of things.

Keith
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Just a side note on gross weight and heavier engines for experimental planes:
As I understand it the builder determines the new gross weight and new useful load, often higher than standard. This has always been common in floatplanes and amphibions as well.

Keith, what kind of weight FWF are you looking at for the Rotec?
billy5823
Veteran Member

sounds good

Post by billy5823 »

man, that thing sure does sound good!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Larry Tener

Post by Larry Tener »

I know you are all young, but they have been putting about 9 lbs in tha aft end of a cub so you can fly it from the front seat for years.
MH434
Forum Regular

Post by MH434 »

Dave
Rotec reckon on an extra 50 lb heavier than a rotax installation. Not that it matters to me, but I see that offset by the extra hp and torque. The R2800 complete with starter, alternator and accessories runs all up at 106kg.
I'm very interested in your comment re the builder establishing their own gross weight as I see the max weight of the Highlander set to remain within LSA etc, and not what it is capable of. That said I still plan to operate within the current weights with the Rotec setup, for my purposes.
Keith
rgmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rgmullins »

Larry Tener wrote:I know you are all young, but they have been putting about 9 lbs in tha aft end of a cub so you can fly it from the front seat for years.
I took my taildragger training in a Cub. That thing barely got the ground on hot days with an instructor and me on board.  :shock:
Made me appreciate what a difference weight makes in performance. One of the A&P's there has a intreresting attitude about it. He said if you are considering on adding it to your plane, take it and hold it at arms length. Let is go and if it drops, don't install it...

Bob, I'm curious because I looked at the 0200. What did you end up with for an empty weight?
Rick Mullins #144
Cincinnati
cutoff1

CG & empty Weight

Post by cutoff1 »

We ended up with an empty weight of 760.

As for the ballast, we could actually have gotten away with probably only 1 pound because we were so close to the parameters when figuring a pilot of 170#. However, we wanted to be well within the range, so we added the extra weight, which will allow for heavy pilot, passenger, baggage, etc., without having a problem.

And we didn't have to move anything or make any adjustments, except that we moved the battery from the baggage compartment to behind the baggage wall, and added an access panel. Other than that we did not make any concessions or adjustments for the engine weight.

In reference to the engine, av8r3400, we did all the work on it, rebuilding it from the case up, including the exhaust system.
Bob Vaughan
500 Pass Road
Gulfport, MS 39507
251-510-7805
m7flyer

Post by m7flyer »

That looks really sweet and I love the sound of that O-200.

Another Idea for ballast would be what Maule uses for the early M7's which is a lead slug with a pipe to slide it into aft of the luggage area and another pipe under the pilots seat.  When solo I keep it aft and when loading up I put it under my seat, or just leave it in the car.  I'm not sure how much it weighs but must be at least 10 lbs.  It takes just a few seconds to move it.

Return to “Just Aircraft”