(08) Buttercup Fuselage (Mike)

planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Counter Weight

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hey Guys,
                Took care of the frame being out of Balance.... Now it will stay in any position without

tightening the rotating Stand....

If this weight didn't work.... I would have grabbed a bigger one...

Gotta Fly...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sometimes you just have to take the leap
and build your wings on the way down...
                Gotta Fly...
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Welding

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hey Guys,
                Here's a few pictures of some welds... The clusters are the hardest...

So that's what the pictures are... They are not that hard... but of all the welding... They're the hardest

Gotta Fly...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
                Gotta Fly...
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

What Next

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hey Guys,
                What next ???  I was going to start on the Tail... But I'm using Tailwind prints for that...

I can't get "Copies" today... I don't want to mess up the originals...

At this Point I have the tubes that are on the Fuselage , welded...More tubes need to be put on...

But where to start.  I was going to put the 3/8 tube for the windscreen on the fuselage... But I notice

it would be in the way for welding the Wing Mounts...  So , I'm setting up the wings and Fuselage for alining

the wing mounts.... I've Got the Fuselage Datum line "Level" , and it's level the other way...

I have ropes holding the wing into position... I can adjust every angle the way it's hanging...

Once I have this side exactly where it goes... I'll turn the Fuselage 180 and set up the other wing the same way...

I didn't think I had the room to do this... But I wasn't thinking about the way it's positioned ( Which works )

Here's some Pic's
                                             Gotta Fly...
                                                             Mike & "Jaz" in MN
                Gotta Fly...
millerdvr

Where in Mn you located?

Post by millerdvr »

just wondering where you are up there?  I grew up in Rochester and still get up there quite a bit.

Thanks,
Chris

your build is looking great by the way,  The Wittman(s) are a great design and looks like a great plane to build.
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Re: Where in Mn you located?

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hi Chris,
              I'm in Minneapolis... I have a site that shows where Wittman Builders/Flyers are located all over the world

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 69125e082c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like the closest to you is in Wyoming....

Gotta Fly...
                                                        Mike & "Jaz" in MN

millerdvr wrote:just wondering where you are up there?  I grew up in Rochester and still get up there quite a bit.

Thanks,
Chris

your build is looking great by the way,  The Wittman(s) are a great design and looks like a great plane to build.
                Gotta Fly...
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

rudder

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hey Guys,
                I'm working on the Rudder and Vertical Stabilizer...

I have a couple pictures... One , I'm showing how the get the same "curve" for the opposite side...

The others are a "modification"....

I can't find good Builders pictures of this area.... and the prints get real fuzzy... lines crossing and skipping it...

The reason for my Mod on the Piper channel is there's just too much of a change from the Stab and Rudder...

So I cut down the Piper channel to "skinny" it up.... also what I'll do is "FATTEN" up the top channels on the rudder...

From there.... the lower ones can be put in normal.....

Gotta Fly...
                                                         Mike & "Jaz" in MN
                Gotta Fly...
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Transition

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hey Guys,
               Took some pictures of the Top Channels on the Rudder....

As you can see... The Stab channels were brought almost all the way in.... a little was left for strength...

and the Rudder channels were brought out.... but not all the way.... it's still part of the transition to the

normal place the channels are put....... Flush with the tube....

Next set of channels below this point will be in their normal position...

Gotta Fly...
                Gotta Fly...
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Rudder

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hey Guys,
               I built this part with the trailing edge in one piece... I'm done with framing in the

Stabilizer and the rudder... Time to make the "Cut"

I like it.... Perfect line
                                            Gotta Fly...
                                                            Mike & "Jaz" in MN
                Gotta Fly...
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Fabric Tube

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hi Guys,
              I'm putting the Fabric tube on.... BC Prints have it up , then down , then up again....

Tailwind prints show it following the Fuselage frame.... This is what I did.... I used spacers to keep it even...

The Vertical Stabilizer Fabric will wrap around this tube.....after.... The fuselage fabric will wrap inside this tube.

After.... two inch fabric tape will tie everything together....

Gotta Fly...
                Gotta Fly...
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Welding

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hey Guys,
               I welded up the Vertical Stabilizer and Rudder..... I noticed as I was  putting the Silicone Bronze on
the material was pretty hot.... (TIG)    I've been following "Blindly" and doing it like this , because that's how they weld
the Piper channel...  Probably because it's so thin...

I used the MIG to weld the Rudder... Less heat...

If you know what your doing... This way is the easiest... less warping... stronger... faster...

You need to watch out for "Cold Lap".... and of course... Burning holes through the thin material...

Basicly , my technique is.... first tack is semi long to get the heat going.... Then a series of tacks , following the heat....

The area doesn't get as hot as trying to braze it.... and the hardwire is stronger...
                                                             Gotta Fly...
                Gotta Fly...
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Horizontal Stabilizer and Elevator

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hey Guys,
               The Vertical Stab and Rudder were easy to convert over to the Tailwind style....

The Horizontal Stab/ Elev  are a little more challenging... But I've come up with a design I'm happy with...

In order to get the shape I wanted... The extention on the 1-1/4" main tube needed to be slanted to the rear....

A problem was found with the original design.... The incidence is to be at Zero , for first Flight.... Talking with

Tailwind flyers.... the adjustment , usually needs to be lowered....

The Buttercup "won't" go lower.... The elevator control tube  "hits" inside the frame ....

So... I'm gonna bend my Horizontal Stab down....and bolt it into a lower position...  Finish framing it in....

Then , unbolt it and move it to zero incidence....

Another "Mod" I'll be making ,  upsidedown airfoil on the Horizontal Stab...

Somebody else suggested this... and it sounds like it's what this needs.... Not too much...

Gotta Fly...
                                         Mike & "Jaz" the Flying Dog
.The leading edge size on the HS was wrong...Tailwind is 1/2" X .035 ... I cut these off and fixed it
                Gotta Fly...
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Airfoil

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hey Guys,
               Since the Horizontal Stabilizer is usually set with the leading Edge in a lower position than zero
( Parallel with Datum line )

Also, because re shaping my Horz Stab has lost a few sq inches.... I'm putting a little airfoil in the Stab....

Upside Down...
                                                   Gotta Fly...
                                                                   Mike & "Jaz" in MN
.In the upper picture , You can see the extra set of Piper Channel that was added on the lower part of the Vertical Stabilizer... it lines up with the rudder channels... This was to support the Fabric around the Elevator horns.... Which are wider because of the Heim bearing ( 5/16" ) Gotta Fly...
                Gotta Fly...
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Landing Gear

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hey Guys,
               Moving along... Time to get the Fuselage on the Gear.... Working on the front Mount.

I'm only putting the Gear tubes together.... Still "up in the Air" about which engine....

Problem with measurements on the prints....  Mine was missing... and others were wrong...

I made the distance below the center of the mount bolt at 1-5/8"

This measurement seems to be very close....

I have things very close in these pictures.... I'll go back and forth with the digital protractor , to be

sure things are "all" level and square.... Before I "Tack weld" anything....

Once I "DO" have it tacked good enough to move....

I'll put it on the fuselage and check everything again...Just to be sure it all lines up like it should.

Gotta Fly...
                                                                    Mike & "Jaz" in MN
                Gotta Fly...
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Post by Sean_Caranna »

As always with you; looks like some superb workmanship!
"I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having."
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Thanks

Post by planecrazzzy »

Thanks Sean,
                     That reminds me... I have update pictures... I have the gear Bolted on the Fuselage...

I took a couple days off to install an Airconditioner in the garage and do some clean up...

Gotta Fly...
                                                 Mike & "Jaz" in MN
                Gotta Fly...

Return to “Mike's Buttercup project”