Wet W10 wings anyone?

W-8, W-9, W-10, Tailwind and Buttercup
rx7tailwind

Wet W10 wings anyone?

Post by rx7tailwind »

Has anyone built a wooden wing with fuel tank in it? Any thoughts?
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Wing Tanks

Post by planecrazzzy »

I have seen...and will post a picture of a guy that built a wood wing with a BIG fuel tank in it....

Myself , I'd be happy with 5 gals or so in each wing to help the main tank....

Here's the picture...

Gotta Fly...
Mike in MN
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sometimes you just have to take the leap
and build your wings on the way down...
                Gotta Fly...
Allen

W10 Wet Wings

Post by Allen »

Mike,

Has that guy flown his plane yet?  Is it a Buttercup or a Tailwind?

Allen in Anchorage
Give me Liberty, or give me death.
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Re: W10 Wet Wings

Post by planecrazzzy »

Hi Allen,
             It's a Tailwind Wing....I don't know if it's in the air yet....

You could "copy " the picture.....Send it to the Tailwind site and ask them....

Gotta Fly...
                                                             Mike & "Jaz" in MN

Allen wrote:Mike,

Has that guy flown his plane yet?  Is it a Buttercup or a Tailwind?

Allen in Anchorage
                Gotta Fly...
aerodesign

Re: Wing Tanks

Post by aerodesign »

planecrazzzy wrote:I have seen...and will post a picture of a guy that built a wood wing with a BIG fuel tank in it....

Here's the picture...

Gotta Fly...
Mike in MN
It seems that guy understands a little at all what`s he doing :?
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Post by planecrazzzy »

I don't see how you could say anything.... it's not finished... How do you know what it'll end up like ???

If he ties that tank in somehow... and uses it to stiffen up that big hole... maybe it'll end up stronger...

I don't know , and wouldn't judge it til it was DONE...

Gotta Fly...

It seems that guy understands a little at all what`s he doing :?
                Gotta Fly...
aerodesign

Post by aerodesign »

planecrazzzy wrote:I don't see how you could say anything.... it's not finished... How do you know what it'll end up like ???

If he ties that tank in somehow... and uses it to stiffen up that big hole... maybe it'll end up stronger...

I don't know , and wouldn't judge it til it was DONE...

Gotta Fly...

Mike, to tie the tank is not an issue. The main thing here: the wing spars are  NOT calculated for increased inertia loads (imagine 25 gal each, instead of 5 in wing tanks), the wing spars are not calculated for the increased distributed loads.... so, wing  design load has changed and hence unknown. Destructive loads and all the limits became unknown... I would not be able to accept such risk.
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Post by planecrazzzy »

Ok , I see what your saying... Even if he does "tie it in" good ... still not good...

Seems to me... if he "does tie it in good... it would "carry" the load from the spars , rather than adding to their load...

So the only weak point would be the inboard part of the spar ?

Gotta Fly...
                Gotta Fly...
aerodesign

Re: ...

Post by aerodesign »

planecrazzzy wrote:Ok , I see what your saying... Even if he does "tie it in" good ... still not good...

Seems to me... if he "does tie it in good... it would "carry" the load from the spars , rather than adding to their load...

So the only weak point would be the inboard part of the spar ?

Gotta Fly...
Inboard and outbaird part of the spars (due an increased distributed loads), struts and their attachments are  calculated under different loads and limits.
And definitely impact will take a place for a whole wing structure because of increased summarized distributed loads. All these changes will cause
different behaviour of the whole airplane.
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Post by planecrazzzy »

Yeah, if ya ask me... that's just too much fuel.... I gotta get out and stretch or take a leak....

The Stock fuel supply is good enough for me.... around 4 hrs flying time ???  Yeah , THAT'S too much...

Gotta Fly...
                                                         Mike & "Jaz" the Flying Dog
                Gotta Fly...
aerodesign

Post by aerodesign »

planecrazzzy wrote:Yeah, if ya ask me... that's just too much fuel.... I gotta get out and stretch or take a leak....

The Stock fuel supply is good enough for me.... around 4 hrs flying time ???  Yeah , THAT'S too much...

Gotta Fly...
                                                         Mike & "Jaz" the Flying Dog
Sure, will not ever  find such bladder to tolearate these tanks till empty :D  :D  :D
Aerco

Post by Aerco »

Unless that tank is strong enough to handle air loads and can transfer those air loads into the spars efficiently, that is a disaster waiting to happen.  Wing ribs have a function - you cannot simply delete most of them and count on the skins alone to transfer loads to the spars. Plus the skins would have nothing to stabilize them and buckle all over the place at the lightest of loads. This is not a well-thought out idea.
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

WTF?

Post by planecrazzzy »

Ah.... So you think he was Finished at this stage...... I see...

Gotta Fly...

PS  Go on the Tailwind Forum at Yahoo and talk to the guy....
Aerco wrote:Unless that tank is strong enough to handle air loads and can transfer those air loads into the spars efficiently, that is a disaster waiting to happen.  Wing ribs have a function - you cannot simply delete most of them and count on the skins alone to transfer loads to the spars. Plus the skins would have nothing to stabilize them and buckle all over the place at the lightest of loads. This is not a well-thought out idea.
                Gotta Fly...
gerryvandyk

Post by gerryvandyk »

Where in heaven's name is all your negativity coming from?  Solving the 'problems' you cite are truely trivial.

Build a tank baffle in at each rib location (wing rib inside the tank instead of outside), add a cap strip outside the tank to take the sheeting.  If the tank is build accurately to the rib shape just glue the sheeting direct to the tank skin.

As for the spar, the 1-1/4" x 5" deep douglas fir spar is ludicrously overbuilt in the first place.

This is Jim Rust's tailwind, he works for Whirlwind Propellers and he's no dummy.  I believe he's been flying it for some years now.

Regards
Gerry
Aerco wrote:Unless that tank is strong enough to handle air loads and can transfer those air loads into the spars efficiently, that is a disaster waiting to happen.  Wing ribs have a function - you cannot simply delete most of them and count on the skins alone to transfer loads to the spars. Plus the skins would have nothing to stabilize them and buckle all over the place at the lightest of loads. This is not a well-thought out idea.
nadt770

fuel tanks in wood wings on GP-4

Post by nadt770 »

The GP-4 has glass tanks incorporated in the leading edge of the wing. It does have a massive spar though and there are no tanks between the main spar and rear spar.

Return to “Wittman Aircraft”