Cheep Wings. What aircraft can you build for around $10k?

Got Plane on the Brain? Grab a 'cold drink' and converse about anything concerning aviation. Opinions, interests, questions. Join the group and talk about it here.
**NO TECHNICAL DISCUSSIONS HERE, PLEASE POST IN THE APPROPRIATE TECH FORUM**
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Cheep Wings. What aircraft can you build for around $10k?

Post by Sean_Caranna »

I'm just starting an Evans VP-2 that I plan to power with a Corvair engine. But I'm still at a point where I can change projects without wasting much at all. I'll I've done so far is buy tools, build a shop table, and the firewall.

Assuming a $3500 engine (like Corvair or VW). What kits are out there for around $7000 or less? Who makes them and at what price?
"I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having."
nickofhf

Problem with Price

Post by nickofhf »

I had the same desire cost wise.{I realy like the VP-2 and hope to build one someday} My answer was to purchase the plans for a 601xl for $400.00 and build from scratch.There are many out there who are doing it and lots of web sites and a messageboard for assistance. :shock:
Nick Pace
A Fellow Aviator
Building a Corvair/601XL
shorty

Post by shorty »

After having done some research,(very recently), I've found that there is no kits available for $7000. unless you want an ultralight, and then, they start at aroung $8000. And a corvaire engine would kinda overpower it a little. lol!

Thanx
Shorty
Mike Armstrong

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Hi Sean, two VW powered, all metal aircraft come to mind. The Hummel UltraCruiser http://www.flyhummel.com/ and the Thatcher CX-4 http://www.thatchercx4.com/ . Both can reportedly be built for under $7000 from plans and maybe purchasing a few completed parts from the factory. However, as Shorty said, purchasing a complete kit for something other than an ultralight is gonna be a bit more expensive.

Mike Armstrong
John Vogler

Post by John Vogler »

Hi
I'm building a Pietenpol Aircamper annd hoped to build it for under 7k dollars. It can be done with a lot of scrounging for parts but I found that as I got started I chose to build with the best materials which will cost a total of about 10k.You can end up with a very good Aircamper for around 7k dollars and have a 2-place airplane to boot.
John Vogler Stroudsburg.Pa.
John Vogler

Post by John Vogler »

Hi again
The attachment I sent previously was not the one I intended to send. Here is a more recent pic.
John Vogler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Post by Sean_Caranna »

shorty wrote:After having done some research,(very recently), I've found that there is no kits available for $7000. unless you want an ultralight, and then, they start at aroung $8000. And a corvaire engine would kinda overpower it a little. lol!

Thanx
Shorty
I should have asked what projects can be built for $7,000 or less minus firewall forward and instruments. I really don't expect to find any kits in this price range.
rware

Post by rware »

Hi
You didn't say say if you wanted a 1 or 2 place. For a 1 seater for $5000 for the airframe kit try:
http://www.jdtmini-max.com/home2c.html
I don't know much about them but live close to the factory so I may visit them this summer.

Anybody know any more about them?

Ray
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Post by Sean_Caranna »

My fiancé will put the kibosh on anything smaller than a 2 seater.

I am seriously considering building a design I’ve been working on the past four months. I built a quick and dirty mockup of the fuselage from the firewall to the start of the empanage last week and it has been taunting me every time I walk in the garage.

I’m either going to have to finish up the design and start building it or destroy the mockup and get back to work on the VP-2 soon.
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Post by Sean_Caranna »

Well it's all settled and the winner is... the KR-2S

You can see my progress as it happens at: http://www.wingsforum.com/aircraft/
Johnny luvs Biplanes
Forum Regular

Post by Johnny luvs Biplanes »

Sean, you not building a VP2 now?
John
Go love a biplane today :)
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Post by Sean_Caranna »

The VP was going to require a redesign to get to be the plane I want it to be. I am modifying the KR-2S but it will not require the redesign that the VP-2 was going to need.

My KR will be widened to 44" at the shoulder and stretched an additional 15". It will also use the newer AS5048/15 airfoil.

The fuselage sides are sitting in my garage waiting for me to order some more spruce so I can complete the boat.

Someone once said that an aircraft is just a bunch of compromises flying in CLOSE formation. For me the KR-2S fits the bill for what I want to do without me having to compromise too much.

Return to “Hangar Flying”