Want to build, some questions first

For general discussion of the Vision aircraft.
cessna19811

Want to build, some questions first

Post by cessna19811 »

I have really been considering the vision aircraft, although I have some questions that have gone unanswered. Maybe I will get a response here. Originally I sent the message to the contact address on visionaircraft.com last week, but had not heard anything. I found out today though they were bought out or something by pro-composites so I sent my questions there. Either way, hopefully I get a response.

After doing as much research as I could, I'm still left with a few questions.

1) I noticed some pictures on the website of the prototypes that were built, are these aircraft still flying or around?

2) Besides the three aircraft I see on the website, are there any others that are known to be flying?

3) I read on another forum that there had been issues with the tail wheel assembly fracturing? Was this an issue and if it was has it been resolved?

I noticed a yahoo group for the vision aircraft, although I wasn't sure which board builders were using.
mikey127

Post by mikey127 »

Well, it seems to go like this....

This particular aircraft has a very high build time. I got to talk to some folks at Oshkosh last year(didn't make it this year) and brought up my desire to build this particular plane. I was then asked if I planned on flying it in this life time. That got me wondering. 3000 hrs to build a plane. WOW. I have seen a few partially built Visions go for sale over the last few years. My view on this is they have come to a point with the building process and see that there is much more work to be done, makeing the light at the end of the tunnel seem really far away. An average work week is 40 hrs. 2080 hrs a year. That would be a year and a half of full time building. :shock:  I don't have that kind of time. Not to mention the climate you live in. Composites needs a warm dry place. I live in Iowa, a cold wet place with humid summers makeing my build window 4-5 months tops. I don't have a heated shop but I could convert one of my pole buildings with out a lot of trouble and have a heated shop.

I have tried to find out myself if any of the finished planes are still flying and had little luck. Sean's beta plane (vision #2)is still registered, but the prototype is not. It could have a different N# than the one in all the pics.  Sean seems to be located in Kentucky now, but no way to confirm this. I looked them up on an aircraft registery web site.

With saying all that I will more than likely build my Vision. I just know that the build will be more of a hobby being done in my spare time and not in such a rush. Then if I get it done. hurray 4 me. 8)

What I have sid here is just my opinion and should give folks a little something to chew on. :D  

Best reguards and wishes

Mike
wingmsonge

Re: Want to build, some questions first

Post by wingmsonge »

WOW. I have seen a few partially built Visions go for sale over the last few years.

Return to “Vision Aircraft”