Aileron Cable to Control Stick Attach

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Wes
Premium Member

Aileron Cable to Control Stick Attach

Post by Wes »

OK, I'm missing something (again), (still).

I tried fitting the aileron cable with it's shackle to the end of the control stick (inside that hole in the mixer tube) and it appears the shackle is too narrow for the tang on the control stick. The measurements I took make it WAY too narrow (tang is about 0.200in thick and shackle is 0.150 in). And this is a forged shackle! I didn't think it was a good idea to try to spread the shackle almost .050 in!

And, (surprise!) the book I have has nothing in it about this attach point.

Anybody run into this problem? If so, tell me the fix is simple and make me feel stupid (again).

Thanks,
Wes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
Uwe Jens
Seasoned Member

Post by Uwe Jens »

Hi Wes,
Did you measure the other hole in the control stick? The hole that attach the tube to the other control stick, Ihad the same problem and realized that the one hole was more narrow than the other one because the link that attaches the tube to the other stick is wider than the shackle, I only rotated 180º the control stick and the problem was solved.  Look if your control stick have the same  thickness in both holes.
Regards,
Uwe/.
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Hey at the shop I take material off both sides of the control stick attach before I put them in. I make sure both the shackle will fit and that the fork on the cross tube will fit. It's not in the book its just powder coat and sometimes paint buildup that makes it not fit.   When you get it all to fit, don't forget to put grease on the bolts when final installation.  Hope this helps  Jak
Wes
Premium Member

Live and Learn

Post by Wes »

Uwe and Jak,

Thanks for the replies. I disassembled the mixer tube and sure enough, there is a thin attach point and a thicker attach point!

The thinner side fits nicely into the shackle and the thicker side looks like it will slide into the fork with a little coaxing. The fork will be a lot easier to spread than the forged shackle.

As Uwe said it looks like just a matter of turning the stick pivot 180 deg and reassembling.

A warning in the book would be nice.

Thanks again,

Wes
Kit # 95
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Wes don't spread the fork remove material from the mixer tube. You can grind or sand off enough material from the washer side to make it fit correctly.  Jak
Wes
Premium Member

Fork Fit

Post by Wes »

OK, Jak, I'll try that.

Thanks,

Wes
Kit # 95

Return to “Just Aircraft”