Pilot Wannabe

Welcome to the FORUM. The purpose of this forum is to "formally" introduce yourself to other members. Please tell us about your flying, hobbies, interests, etc. etc.
eric_marsh

Pilot Wannabe

Post by eric_marsh »

I'm just starting to get involved in flying but I have a long history with engines and vehicles. Back in the seventies to the early eighties I worked as an automotive engine builder and machinist. I've done a bit of racing over the years, mostly motorcycle drag racing. I got my Super Comp dragster drivers license and was just starting on another dragster when I decided that I really want to do something new. Flying has always been attractive but I thought out of my reach. Looking at my dragster project I decided that rather than spending a bunch of money on something that I will take out occasionally for a few brief rides I thought that for the same amount of money I could probably find myself an inexpensive airplane.

I've been spending a lot of time doing research on aviation and airplanes lately and since I understand engines in particular that's something that I've been thinking about a lot. From what I see many aircraft engines are very "old tech" but I understand the importance of reliability and understand why change comes very slowly. There are some things in particular that I'm quite curious about such as how the effects cylinder head design and volumetric efficiency play out. I'm thinking of starting a thread dealing with that subject and seeing what people have to say about it.

Eric
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Re: Pilot Wannabe

Post by Sean_Caranna »

Not sure how I missed your post before but welcome to the forums!

Have you had a chance to do any flying yet?
"I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having."
eric_marsh

Post by eric_marsh »

Thanks! I spent an hour and a half today flying in circles and bouncing up and down in thermals. :)

Eric
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Post by Sean_Caranna »

eric_marsh wrote:Thanks! I spent an hour and a half today flying in circles and bouncing up and down in thermals. :)

Eric
Oh Yeah! That's the good stuff there!
"I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having."

Return to “Introductions”