Folding wings, Rag &Tube,LSA,Plans

For general discussion of new kit aircraft designs and other homebuilt aircraft.
Dareha

Folding wings, Rag &Tube,LSA,Plans

Post by Dareha »

Does anyone make a plane that has: 2 seats side by side with shoulder room, LSA, folding wings, plans built, 130 mph cruise, steel and fabric, high wing, stol capabilities? I have a Tri Pacer and With $300 a month hanger fee, folding wings is a real plus. Thank for any help you can be.
Darrell
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Re: Folding wings, Rag &Tube,LSA,Plans

Post by Sean_Caranna »

I can't think of anything with all of those features. There's not going to be much that will cruise 130 mph made of tube & rag. The BushCaddy R 120 and Just Aircraft Highlander both cruise around 100 to 110 and have a Vne of 130 Mph, the Highlander has the folding wing. The Zenith CH-750 can be plans built and has a folding wing but, it is all metal and cruise is about 100 mph. (125 Vne).
"I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having."
bandit
Forum Regular

Post by bandit »

Take a look at Glasair's Sportsman 2+2. Not a rag and tube but has everything else and more!
Bandit
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

A 914 Rotax powered Kitfox Super Sport (or a model 5, 6, or 7) will easily meet all of that criteria with one exception, it is not available as a plans only. But if you watch for people selling projects you can find one cheaper than you can build it. Oh yeah, one with a straight Rotax 912s may also meet that cruise speed criteria, but you'd have to build it with the idea of speed, focusing on light weight and fairing everything possible. But even a heavy one that is only reasonably streamlined will perform well; A few years back during the SUN 100 air race a Kitfox model 7 tri gear with two guys in it finished the race with an average speed of 139 mph. I'm sure they were running it a bit hard, but none the less it did it. And running that 912 hard still burns less fuel than your Tri Pacer will :wink:

Good luck with your search.
fly_boy_bc

Post by fly_boy_bc »

The Sonerai II (original) is one of the most versatile two place homebuilt aircraft ever conceived. In its original form, the standard Sonerai II is a mid-wing, two place tandem aircraft, that is flown from the rear seat solo. The II-L is the same aircraft but with a "low-wing". The low-wing version is especially popular with 6 foot plus pilots, as the pilot legs go over the main spar carry through structure. The Sonerai II-LT (Low-wing, tri-gear) is the same as the Sonerai II-L, but has a steerable nosewheel added to the structure. Many builders with limited or no taildragger experience opt for the tri-gear addition.

All models of the Sonerai II use a minimum of different sizes of materials to reduce the cost, without hampering the integrity of the design. The wing is all aluminum and is composed of two panels that easily fold along side the fuselage enabling the Sonerai II, II-L and II-LT to be towed tail first on its own gear. Stainless steel cherry rivets are used to skin the wing. The fuselage and tail surfaces are constructed of standard sizes of 4130 steel tubing that are fabric covered. All aluminum sheet used is 2024-T3 .025" except for the spars which are .040".

DESIGN LIMIT AT FULL GROSS +/- 4 G's
AEROBATIC LIMIT SOLO W/755 LBS. +/- 6 G's
TAKE OFF DISTANCE 900 FT.
STALL SPEED 45 MPH
LANDING SPEED 58 MPH
MANEUVERING SPEEDM 115 MPH
CRUISING SPEED AT 75% 140 MPH
VNE 200 MPH
RANGE W/45 MINUTE RESERVE 245 SM
RATE OF CLIMB AT GROSS 500 FPM
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Post by planecrazzzy »

I know this is an OLD post....

I was reading it yesterday... I'm building a Wittman "Buttercup"

Steve Wittman also designed the "Tailwind"... some do about 240 mph ( Red Hamilton )

There was a "Knock off" from the Tailwind by NESMITH COUGAR - TWO- PLACE...

Aircraft Spruce sells plans...

There might even be one for sale on the Tailwind site ( Yahoo )
Anywho... it fits your description exactly...
Gotta Fly...
Ooooops... It's not really a STOL aircraft...
Sometimes you just have to take the leap
and build your wings on the way down...
                Gotta Fly...
aeropup.comercial

Post by aeropup.comercial »

Dareha wrote:Does anyone make a plane that has: 2 seats side by side with shoulder room, LSA, folding wings, plans built, 130 mph cruise, steel and fabric, high wing, stol capabilities? I have a Tri Pacer and With $300 a month hanger fee, folding wings is a real plus. Thank for any help you can be.
Darrell
I know This post is too old but I was wordering if you checked our Aeropup since it complies with most of your requirements but the cruise speed.
http://www.aeropup.com/specifications.php
Did you end up buying something?If so, please tell me your preference ok?
Regards,

Luis
Luis Echánove
www.aeropup.com
aeropup.comercial@gmail.com

Return to “Other Aircraft & New Kit Aircraft Designs”