CQ, APRS and an IC-7000 for my panel

Use this forum to discuss in-depth fixed, portable, and handheld aviation electronics.
To include Handheld Radios, Air Mobile HAM, Radios, GPS, APRS, ADS-B, FLIR, Pocket PCs, Palm, etc.
Sean_Caranna
Founder

CQ, APRS and an IC-7000 for my panel

Post by Sean_Caranna »

Well if you understood the subject line, 73 N5VJA
I know I saw that someone else had a 70cm antenna on the belly. Any other hams going air mobile?
"I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having."
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Re: CQ, APRS and an IC-7000 for my panel

Post by FlyerChief »

N5VJA,
73 de VE3NCI.
No Highlander yet... but I'll take a multi-band portable when I finally buy, build and fly one, even if I only use it on stop-overs between flight legs on cross-countries.
-FlyerChief
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

For novices like me, which is a good entry level or better portable multiband brand to consider for lightweight in aircraft use?
jones2873
Premium Member

Post by jones2873 »

I would love to go aeronautical mobile in our Escapade but our authority over here make it almost impossible to do it.
How is it over in the US is it just a case of bolting evrything in an away to go?.

Our Escapade with its ULPower260i is very nearly ready to fly just a few more bits of paper hopefully.

John GW0IVG
(Phoenix group)
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Post by Sean_Caranna »

Dave,
My top picks for putting in the plane would be the smaller units with a separation kit so that the control head can be panel mounted while the radio itself is installed close to the antenna or wherever you need it. Yaesu FT-857D or FT-100D; Icom IC-7000 or IC-706MkIIG; and Kenwood TS-2000 all fit the bill.
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Post by Sean_Caranna »

John,
Here in the US it is no problem. I know quite a few Cessna 150/152 flyers with APRS setups in their certified planes. There's no restriction from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) or the FAA.
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Post by Sean_Caranna »

This link: http://www.aclog.com/aprs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; will show you aeromobile APRS stations in real time.
APRS is Automated Position Reporting System. Basically, ADS-B for ham radio. http://aprs.fi/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; will show you all APRS stations in your area on a google map.
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Don't get me wrong, HF in a plane sounds good, but having an HF capable rig means extra weight, larger antennas, tuners, accessory equipment, etc. :roll:
I was thinking about something more along the lines of the new triband Yaesu VX-8DR portable with advanced APRS capabilities...

http://radioworld.ca/product_info.php?c ... ts_id=7133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

FlyerChief wrote:Don't get me wrong, HF in a plane sounds good, but having an HF capable rig means extra weight, larger antennas, tuners, accessory equipment, etc. :roll:
I was thinking about something more along the lines of the new triband Yaesu VX-8DR portable with advanced APRS capabilities...

http://radioworld.ca/product_info.php?c ... ts_id=7133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Dan
Wow that thing even has APRS, cool. That's what I was thinking of for an aircraft. Small and light but, how's the range for talking?
Last edited by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES on Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Post by Sean_Caranna »

I know some Cessna 150/152 guys who are using this: http://www.byonics.com/microtrak/mtaio.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a PicoPacket TNC interfaced to my pocket PC and an old Radio Shack HTX-202 hand held that I use for APRS now.

For the Highlander I'm planning on making the tracker part of the avionics and pipe the display to the moving map.
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi Dave,
With an external antenna, I suspect the coverage will be very similar to aviation band radios. Using the 'rubber duck'... likely about 1/3 of that range because of the decreased efficiency of the antenna and the shielding effect of the airframe. Also, just as with flying over large bodies of water, when it comes to radio signal range at VHF and UHF frequencies, height is your friend. :wink:

I hope the next step in avaition radio is to combime one with an amateur rig like this one. There may be some regulatory reason not to do it, but if they do build one.... I'm in!!! :D

-Dan
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Post by Sean_Caranna »

FlyerChief wrote:Hi Dave,
... I hope the next step in aviation radio is to combine one with an amateur rig like this one. There may be some regulatory reason not to do it, but if they do build one.... I'm in!!! :D

-Dan
They did make a handheld. Vertex (Yaesu) VXA-700 http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3377" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But it was taken off the market due to poor performance. It wasn't very good at being a ham radio or an aviation HT.
Wes
Premium Member

Post by Wes »

Sean,
Struck a nerve here with hamin' and flying.
I've planned on integrating ham hobby activities into the airplane from the start, so the Icom 706 always had a place.
See pic of the current (and hopefully final) panel config.
The IC706 is such a versitile radio (provides HF, VHF and UHF) and also acts as backup aircraft com.
I've done quite a bit of airborne HF work on different airplanes and it is fun!

The 'Tinytrac' is a good little unit that I've used to track my brothers trikes on various trips and it works great!

73's
Wes (AF4N)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Sean Caranna wrote:They did make a handheld. Vertex (Yaesu) VXA-700 http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3377" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But it was taken off the market due to poor performance. It wasn't very good at being a ham radio or an aviation HT.
Thanks for the info. :oops: It seems this radio was pulled off the market before I started flying in 2007, so I never would have seen it or cared about it then... and with your new information, I don't care for it now either! :roll: It looks like separate radios is still the way to go.

Thanks Sean.
-Dan
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Post by Sean_Caranna »

Wes wrote:...
The IC706 is such a versitile radio (provides HF, VHF and UHF) and also acts as backup aircraft com...
Can the 706 transmit in the air band once you mod it? I know my FT-897D won't.

Return to “Aviation Electronics”