escapade vs Highlander

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Compassklaus

escapade vs Highlander

Post by Compassklaus »

Hello,
it seems fewer Escapades are flying than Highlanders, and not many people talk about them.

In an ideal scenario, I would too go for a Highlander, but due to local restrictions, aircraft here have to remain below 630 pounds empty weight for registration purpose in the microlight category. Now it seems to try and build a highlander might mean that I end up with an aircraft too heavy. People are working on options to lighten the empty weight of the Highlander which is one option, but I wonder if an Escapade which is routinely built well under 630 pounds empty, might not be suitable for my needs.

Looking at an Escapade taildragger with a 260i ULpower engine, long climb prop or in flight variable and VGs.

My requirement is that the bare bone aircraft weighs in finished less than 630 pounds empty and will be able - after sufficient intensive training - to safely operate out of 800 feet level grass runway with 18 feet obstacles right at each end, with density altitude never higher than 5000 feet at 1232 Gross Weight No need for big gear nor Big tires, as short strip but well prepared surface.

I would like the input of pilots of having flown both models..

What are really the handling differences.. apart of the big tire factor.
I could not find any comments from real word comparisons by people who have flown Escapades and Highlanders in STOL operations nor on the handling differences based on the larger differential ruder/elevators larger wingspan..

Any suggestions????

off the subject

If anybody out there has installed a total of 4 wing tanks 2 per wing for Extra LONG range would love to get in touch !!!!.

Thank you in advance

Klaus
xpflyr
Veteran Member

Re: escapade vs Highlander

Post by xpflyr »

I haven't flown both but if the choice was the Escapade or some other model, go with the Escapade.
I almost did anyway. I liked the idea of a shorter wing and I don't do off airport landings ( not purposely anyway ).
Lighter, maybe faster, certainly cheaper!
Compassklaus

Post by Compassklaus »

The Escapade might as well become the choice, if I can be sure that it performs sufficiently well to fly from our 800 foot air park strip with 18 feet obstacles and 5000 feet density altitude..

Just wonder what is the real life difference between the Highlander and Escapade if flown from flat grass surface so that the big tires are not a factor...

50 - 150 pound empty weight difference...

lower cost - good

not so good looks - that's OK ain't no beauty contest.. especially if the alternative is a Zenair

.. apart of that ??
juliant
Seasoned Member

Post by juliant »

Hi
Have you thought of an Escapade with the longer Highlander wing ? I built just that and mine came in at 280 Kg,I needed to keep mine light to stay within our microlight category, both the Escapade and Highlander are registered as advanced ultralights under the Canadian standards and are therefore accepted as such in NZ by the CAA. I believe the Ul engine is roughly the same weight as the Jabiru, also you could fit the long range tanks with only a small increase in weight.
I haven't flown a highlander but the only difference is the tail feathers and wheels, the fuselage is the same. I understand that the tail feathers have a larger surface area but I have never been short of control in that area
Cheers
Julian
Hobbs now 70 hrs.
rubobrun
Forum Regular

Post by rubobrun »

hi
I built an escapade standard(tail dragger) powered with a 912s basic instruments , covered and painted with poly fibre paint and fabric(poly tone).
final empty weight 597 lbs, I have since added 7.5 lbs to the tail and added a highlander tail group.
I have flown it 418 hrs and have had it at sun and fun twice and oshkosh twice In the factory booth, As troy says build it light.
I have been very happy with it and can usually run away with most highlanders and burning 4.5 gph.
Bob Waldhaus
retired and luvinit
preacoupe
Veteran Member

Post by preacoupe »

Klaus,

I am building an Escapade presently. I'll at least start with the nosegear dragging as I don't have a tailwheel endorsement yet. I like the looks of the Escapade's tail better than the Highlander with the softer edges, but as a tricycle is just doesn't look that great, I agree. BUT, you can do it as a taildragger with slightly smaller tires and it changes the look immensely...the best of both worlds. And, you've got a lighter-weight plane to boot with the same fuselage. If you want more lift, get the Highlander wings. They're 31 feet as opposed to 28.5. All sorts of possibilities.

Dennis

Return to “Just Aircraft”