aluminum leading edges

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
warlev
Seasoned Member

aluminum leading edges

Post by warlev »

Anyone done their leading edges in aluminum? What grade and thickness? Thanks, Warren
wayira
Forum Regular

Re: aluminum leading edges

Post by wayira »

Put "wings leading edge" in the "search" and you will come up with lots of information and pictures on this subject.....Wayne
warlev
Seasoned Member

Post by warlev »

Tried search for aluminum leading edges. Nothing. Warren
wayira
Forum Regular

Post by wayira »

That's interesting, from this page in the search nothing. Try putting "wings leading edge"in the search from the 1st page (works for me), not "aluminum leading edge". Look to the right in the Topic, for "MY wings" and "leading edge wrap". Lots of good info and pictures.
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

I used the leading edge material supplied by Aircraft Spruce.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/m ... 330800.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Troy flew mine and said it flew like a lighter airplane (mine weighs 730) and Jak said they have built the last few planes at the factor that way. Over half your lift is generated in the first 25% of the cord so it makes sense to make that part of the airfoil as clean as you can
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
warlev
Seasoned Member

Post by warlev »

Thanks for the replies. How far around do you wrap the aluminum? Thanks, Warren
Winston
Forum Regular

Post by Winston »

Warren

JA sells a leading edge wrap kit that includes different false ribs that sit flush with the main ribs. The standard false ribs stand proud. The kit includes 0.016 aluminum sheet that extends a little past the stringer that supports the false ribs. I don't remember what the kit costs but call them.

Good luck,

Winston
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

I wish I had this as an option when I was building my wings...

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

I've used the Aircraft spruce leading edge material on both of my Highlanders. The false ribs just get shaved so they are level with the wing ribs, glue the leading edge material to the ribs and false ribs then when you cover the wing continue the fabric rivets thru the leading edge wrap to the front spar. I only riveted the leading edge wrap to the wing ribs not to the false ribs or front spar because the fabric keeps the leading edge wrap tight to the leading edge spar. Easy to do and you only have the cost of leading edge material.

Steve
Steve D N419LD
xpflyr
Veteran Member

Post by xpflyr »

rmullins wrote:I used the leading edge material supplied by Aircraft Spruce.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/m ... 330800.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Troy flew mine and said it flew like a lighter airplane (mine weighs 730) and Jak said they have built the last few planes at the factor that way. Over half your lift is generated in the first 25% of the cord so it makes sense to make that part of the airfoil as clean as you can
Rick, I see your leading edge a little different than the factories. What did you do,,, cut each false rib and cut a strip of wood to glue on? Picture of the way the factory did theirs and the way I did mine.
Your work is so clean it makes me sick.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flitestol

Post by flitestol »

xpflyr or others.

Can you post a couple of pictures showing where the fuel tank mates with the front and rear spar and the same for the aluminum leading edge. If you can post a picture on the final fit of your inboard rib and butt rib that would be helpful as well...

We are at this point and have questions that photos like those would solve.

Thanks....
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

Here is another picture of the way we did mine. We cut a strip of wood just thick enough so when we glued it to the 1/2 tube that supports the rear of the false ribs it was flush with the main ribs, that way the entire trailing edge of the wrap was supported. Probably not really necessary. Then we sanded down each false rib until we could we could twist it into place with just a slight amount of drag. That part was a little tedious but the result was nice. The only thing I would do differently, and Carl did it this way when he built his, is don't stop the wrap at the fuel tank, overlap 4-5 inches and glue it down. Mine is flexing at the wrap/tank joint and has cracked the paint and stretched the fabric there.

I don't seem to have many pictures of my tank mounting. I don't know if this one will be any help...

Rick
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
xpflyr
Veteran Member

Post by xpflyr »

flitestol wrote:xpflyr or others.

Can you post a couple of pictures showing where the fuel tank mates with the front and rear spar and the same for the aluminum leading edge. If you can post a picture on the final fit of your inboard rib and butt rib that would be helpful as well...

We are at this point and have questions that photos like those would solve.

Thanks....
Here is how much I overlapped it.
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

That looks great. And after I thought about it for a while, not supporting the entire trailing edge is probably a better way to do it because it would allow a little flex between the ribs and make it less likely to transfer all the movement to the end of the wrap like mine does.
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
xpflyr
Veteran Member

Post by xpflyr »

rmullins wrote:That looks great. And after I thought about it for a while, not supporting the entire trailing edge is probably a better way to do it because it would allow a little flex between the ribs and make it less likely to transfer all the movement to the end of the wrap like mine does.
I like the way you did yours better.

Return to “Just Aircraft”