Hello from Chicago Mike

Welcome to the FORUM. The purpose of this forum is to "formally" introduce yourself to other members. Please tell us about your flying, hobbies, interests, etc. etc.
micemb

Hello from Chicago Mike

Post by micemb »

Hi,
I am the owner of a modified Longster, designed by Les Long in the early 30's.  The aircraft is a single seat, taildragger, tube and fabric parasol design, that has an aluminum RV-3 wing and (currently) a Rotax 532 engine.  I bought the plane on e-bay almost 2 years ago, but have only flown it once.  I just completed my private pilot certificate in May, and now intend to get more serious with the Longster.  I recently bought a Subaru EA-81 engine, which I hope to install over the winter, despite the fact that it will add over 100 # to the empty weight of the plane.  Clearly, I need all the help and advice I can get (No, not psychiatric help and advice.).  I'll try to keep this forum informed as to my progress and problems/solutions as I go.
Kevin Horton
Topic Moderator

Post by Kevin Horton »

What does the Longster weigh with the Rotax engine?  Do you know which variant of the RV-3 wings it has?  What type of flying do you intend to do with the aircraft?
Kevin Horton - RV-8 - 80% done, 80% to go
Ottawa, Canada
http://www.kilohotel.com/rv8/
micemb

Post by micemb »

As currently configured, my Longster weighs 556 pounds.  It has a 9 gallon fuel tank, so with a full load of fuel, leaving a 30 minute reserve means I can fly for 1 1/2 hours.  Since I cruise at about 65 Kts (75 mph), this gives me a range of about 110 miles.  Until I can increase my range, which I hope to be able to do with the EA-81, this means that, as far as cross country flying is concerned, a visit to my family in Lafayette, IN, is about as much as I can do without having to refuel.  So, the primary mission of the Longster is fun flying in the local area.  I do not know which RV-3 wing I have.  I have no flaps, and full length ailerons.  I was told that the original builder, from Eugene, OR, was a friend of Dick VanGrunsven, and that friendship was the origin of the wing design.  I believe it was based on the RV-3 wing, but was in fact designed for the Longster.
Kevin Horton
Topic Moderator

Post by Kevin Horton »

OK.  The early RV-3 wing design had some problems, and there were several in-flight wing failures during aerobatics.  But, those aircraft were much heavier than yours (1050 lb, I think), and it sounds like you don't plan to do aerobatics.  And it seems that your wing probably differs from the RV-3 anyway, as the RV-3 wing has flaps.

Good luck.  Fly safe.
Kevin Horton - RV-8 - 80% done, 80% to go
Ottawa, Canada
http://www.kilohotel.com/rv8/

Return to “Introductions”