Kydex Interior

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Randy

Kydex Interior

Post by Randy »

Hey Stan that Kydex interior is GENUIS !!!!! What a beautiful finished product.  :D  My only concern is the added weight. I plan on having amphib floats so weight saving is critical. But still it looks so good and is so much easier than the fabric covering. I have some holsters made out of kydex so I am familiar with the material.

Stan I have some questions for you :  :?: What thickness of kydex did you use ?  :?: Do you think that the next smallest thickness would be okay to use ?  :?:  How many sheets did you need to cover the interior ?  :?: How are you fastening it to the tubing ?  :?: At the bottom near the floor boards it looks like you have a nice finished angle, did you use a metal brake to create that angle ?  :?: What are you using to cut the kydex ?

I will be curious to see what your finished aircraft weighs when you are done. You have a great web page too. Well, that's all the questions I can think of for now. I'm sure I'll come up with some more for you. Keep up the good work...it looks like you're gonna have a grand champion on your hands there !

Thanks,

Randy
Stan Bearup
Forum Regular

Post by Stan Bearup »

Hi Randy

Sorry for the delay in responding. I guess I should log onto this site more often and check things out a bit more. I have been on a road trip for the past three weeks which included some fishing in the Florida Keys, Sun N' Fun, and a stop in Walhalla to pick up a couple more Highlander kits. If you know anyone that is interested in a Highlander out west, or up in Alaska, please send them to my website at www.justkitplanes.com

Thanks for your compliments on the construction of my Highlander. I am very happy with the Kydex interior, in that it has a nice finish, its really tough material, yet easy to work with. It is a little heavier than fabric, but much more puncture resistant and looks better. I too plan to install floats on my Highlander but do not think the Kydex interior will pose a problem.  Please see my answers to your questions below in BOLD.  

What thickness of kydex did you use ?
I USED THE .040"

Do you think that the next smallest thickness would be okay to use ?
I THINK THAT THAT THE NEXT SIZE SMALLER .028" COULD BE USED, BUT IT IS PRETTY FLIMSEY AND WAVEY.

How many sheets did you need to cover the interior ?
I NEEDED AND USED MOST OF TWO SHEETS

How are you fastening it to the tubing ?  
THIS I PONDERED ON FOR A WHILE BEFORE IT HIT ME LIKE A TON OF BRICKS WHILE LYING IN BED ONE NIGHT...... VELCRO!!

At the bottom near the floor boards it looks like you have a nice finished angle, did you use a metal brake to create that angle ?   What are you using to cut the kydex ?
YES, KYDEX BENDS VERY NICELY IN A BRAKE. YOU CAN ALSO HEAT FORM IT, IF DESIRED. TO CUT IT, I SIMPLY USED A CARPENTERS KNIFE.  IT ALSO CUTS VERY NICELY IN A SHEER.  I LOVE KYDEX :O)

I will be curious to see what your finished aircraft weighs when you are done. You have a great web page too. Well, that's all the questions I can think of for now. I'm sure I'll come up with some more for you. Keep up the good work...it looks like you're gonna have a grand champion on your hands there !
I TOO AM ANXIOUS TO SEE WHAT THE EMPTY WEIGHT WILL BE. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR COMPLIMENTS.

ON ANOTHER NOTE, WHILE AT SUN N' FUN, I RAN INTO SOME OLD FRIENDS THAT SELL NEW AND OVERHAULED FRANKLIN ENGINES. THEY HAD A NEW 125 HP 4A-235 ON DISPLAY THAT COUGHT MY EYE. THE WEIGHT OF THE ENGINE MINUS ACCESSORIES IS 206 LBS. I TALKED THE INSTALLATION OVER WITH TROY AND THE JUST AIRCRAFT GANG, AND THEY ALL AGREED THAT THIS COULD PROVE TO BE AN EXCELLENT ENGINE OPTION FOR THE HIGHLANDER. IT IS A DIRECT DRIVE AIR COOLED ENGINE THAT WILL SWING A 76" PROPELLER (GREAT FOR US FLOAT GUYS).  THE ENGINE WILL BE BACK INTO FULL PRODUCTION IN POLAND THIS NEXT WINTER WITH A PROJECTED PRICE TAG OF AROUND $13,000. IT WILL ALSO BE FUEL INJECTED.  I WAS SO FIRED UP ABOUT IT THAT I PURCHASED ALL THREE OF THE ENGINES THAT THEY HAD IN STOCK, AND DELIVERED ONE OF THEM TO JUST AIRCRAFT AFTER THE SHOW SO TROY CAN  BUILD A MOUNT AND WORK OUT THE INSTALLATION ON ONE OF THEIR HIGHLANDERS. I TOOK ANOTHER ENGINE HOME WITH ME, AND THE THIRD WILL BE SHIPPED TO ME IN A MONTH OR SO.   I AM KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSED  :)

Cheers!
Stan Bearup
www.justkitplanes.com

P.S.  For more information on the Franklin engines, check out  www.franklin-engines.com
678GOFLYHI landers

Franklkin Update

Post by 678GOFLYHI landers »

Stan,

Any update on your Franklin project?
Mark--
678-GO-FLY-HI landers
Stan Bearup
Forum Regular

Post by Stan Bearup »

Mark & all,

I have been looking into the feasabiltiy of using the 125 HP Franklin on the Highlander, but have not actually done anything other than gathering information and purchasing items. So far, other than the engine purchase,  I have also purchased an O-200 mount that fits the engine but will need to be modified to fit the Highlander's engine mount attach points. Also, I have pretty much determined that the Kitfox series 5, 6, and 7 Lycoming/Continental  engine cowling can be used (with minor modifications) to work on the Highlander (photos attached). The Franklin 4A-235 is quite a bit wider than the Rotax 912, and will not fit under the 912 designed cowling that is supplied with our kits. I have also learned that the the 125 HP installation weight and CG should be very similar to that of the Jabiru 3300. See the information below. Please let me know if anyone has any helpful ideas or insight.

Stan
www.justkitplanes.com

Engine            Installed Weight                   Engine CG

Jabiru 3300           190 lbs.                     7.7" (from rear of case)

125 HP Franklin      218 lbs.                    4.75 (from rear of case) (This more rearward CG will help quite a bit.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

About how much would a kydex interior cost?
I have used it for other things, & it's real easy
to work with & very durable.
Great idea!

Johnny C!
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
Stan Bearup
Forum Regular

Post by Stan Bearup »

Johnny,

You will need two sheets of Kydex to do the interior of the Highlander or Escapade. Each sheet cost about $100 plus shipping. The total sost will be about $220 to $250, depending upon how far you live from where you purchase it. I purchased my Kydex panels from San Diego Plastics. Their Kydex related website is: http://www.sdplastics.com/kydex/kydex.html
Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Stan Bearup
www.justkitplanes.com
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Thanks Stan!

I'll keep this in mind when get
closer!

Johnny C!
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

We've got all the pieces cut to fit in a textured, light biege color and they look great. We heat formed a 1/2" drip edge on the cargo ceiling so that any condensate will drain to the outside of the Kydex, between it and the fabric, and not into the cargo area.

I've heard to use velcro to fasten, what kind of adhesive works best to attach the velcro to both the airframe tubing and the Kydex itself?
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Well we experimented with various adhesives and it seems Super Glue works best for both surfaces so far. We heat formed some brackets (combined with velcro) out of Kydex that allow the panels to be held more snugly up against the airframe tubes.

Return to “Just Aircraft”