Bearhawk

For general discussion of new kit aircraft designs and other homebuilt aircraft.
Papakeith

Bearhawk

Post by Papakeith »

Lets start a discussion about the Bearhawk.   For that matter, the Patrol too.  

I just bought plans for the 4 place Bearhawk and I'm looking for all the information I can get.
If enough interest is generated, maybe we can talk the powers that be into creating a seperate forum for discussion.
Papakeith

Post by Papakeith »

Wow, lots of interest here eh?  :?

I'll just start talking to myself then.  feel free to chime in if you want.

I've got the plans, and I've ordered Russ Erbs CD (supposed to be a nice reference source for Bearhawk builders).
Still waffling on whether or not I'll be purchasing Eric Newtons Build manual.  I probably will buy it.  Those that have it swear by it.

The real question for me is; do I want to completely scratch build this plane, or buy kits from AviPro.  For those who don't know, AviPro makes QB kits for bearhawk builders.  In addition to the QB, they offer various partial kits to help speed things along.

Am I building to have a hobby, and to enjoy the build process? or do I want to get into the air as quickly as possible.   I'm kind of in the middle of the road on this one.   On the one hand it would be nice to be airborne within 2 years time.  On the other hand, I don't have the bundle of cash I'd need up front to purchase a kit. That, and it certainly would be a hoot to actually build this beastie soup to nuts.  

If I had to chose today, I'd choose the long road.  Ask me again 2-3 years into it, and I might just think differently. ;)

So for now, I'll scratch build.  I can get started for minimal investment, and see if the whole building "thing" is something I want to really do.  If it is super I'm on my way.  If it is fun but I want to knock a few years off the build, then AviPro is there.  I've got a feeling that I'll fall into that catagory.
Keith

BH plans #949
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Post by Sean_Caranna »

What are the powerplant choices for the Bearhawk?
"I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having."
Papakeith

Post by Papakeith »

Near as I can tell  pretty much everything from twisted rubber bands to jet engines.
The plans call for 150hp-260hp.  The firt prototype flew with 180hp, and the second prototype had a 540 pushing 260 hp.

At least one build I've heard from is planning on mounting an m14.  Some major frame modifications there!
Keith

BH plans #949
Papakeith

Post by Papakeith »

The weather was so nice yesterday in the Northeast.  I had no choice but to begin my build.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith

BH plans #949
Papakeith

Post by Papakeith »

more progress

First a build site:  http://www.bearhawk949.com

Then there is the Sanding.  All told, I probably put over 4 hours into drilling and sanding; mostly sanding.

When the dust settled I had my rib master formblock finish sanded, the pocket rib for the ailerons, and the nose ribs for the ailerons and flaps pretty much done too.

If some aluminum arrives tomorrow or weds. I can start cutting .
Keith

BH plans #949
Papakeith

Post by Papakeith »

I've been busy.  This weekend I got about 1/2 of the nose ribs cut out and a couple of them formed.  Steady progress.
Keith

BH plans #949
Papakeith

Post by Papakeith »

as of yesterday.  All of the noseribs are cut.  About 1/2 have the flange formed.  a few are even fluted and seemed.  
Next up. . .  lightening holes and the middle rib form block.
Keith

BH plans #949
Sir Real
Seasoned Member

Post by Sir Real »

SO how's it going?
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Re: Bearhawk

Post by Sean_Caranna »

How's the project coming along?
"I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having."
Papakeith

Post by Papakeith »

It's going. I've got the wing ribs pretty much formed, primed, painted, and have the stiffener angled riveted on. Not much progress in the last few years. Injury, money, and other projects (dad wanted to build a hotrod) took over too. It's still on the bench, and I haven't given up. I'm certainly not making the progress I had envisioned though.
Keith

BH plans #949
planecrazzzy
Site Admin

Post by planecrazzzy »

A Bearhawk fourm has been created....

Hopefully it will be used.... Or it's up to Sean to take it down...

Hope this helps , I ... and others would love to watch the building progress...

especially pictures too !!!
I have a STOL Buttercup being built in the "Wittman" section...
Hope to see plenty of progress of yours on this Forum.
Gotta Fly...
Mike & "Jaz" the Flying Dogz

Papakeith wrote:Lets start a discussion about the Bearhawk.   For that matter, the Patrol too.  

I just bought plans for the 4 place Bearhawk and I'm looking for all the information I can get.
If enough interest is generated, maybe we can talk the powers that be into creating a seperate forum for discussion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sometimes you just have to take the leap
and build your wings on the way down...
                Gotta Fly...

Return to “Other Aircraft & New Kit Aircraft Designs”