Water Cooled 120hp for Highlander

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
678GOFLYHI landers

Water Cooled 120hp for Highlander

Post by 678GOFLYHI landers »

Does anyone have an opinion on this engine for the Highlander?

http://www.greatplainsas.com/llc1.html
Mark--
678-GO-FLY-HI landers
KevinC
Veteran Member

Post by KevinC »

I was looking at this myself.  The HP and weight (and $$) are favorable.  I think it is too wide for the existing cowling (check out http://www.riocreekairport.com/escapade33.htm).  I always thought the Rotec radial would be cool... but probably too heavy as well.

Kevin
678GOFLYHI landers

2180 Water cooled heads

Post by 678GOFLYHI landers »

Kevin,

I talked to Steve at Great Planes today for about a half hour.  He had alot of info to share.  Some of the notes that I had taken were that there is only one currently flying with the redrive and I believe it is on a Kit Fox somewhere.

Curent price for a fully assembled, test runned, ready to fly on your airplane is $9163.90 with all the fix'ns and dual ignition.

I was interested in a replacement engine for the 912S for Seaplane ops so I asked about the prefered Warp Drive Prop with nickle leading edge.   He claimed that they were having problems with that prop on thier redrive because of the weight.  So if you were looking into the 120hp version you might want to think about a wood Culver Prop with erossion guard.  

He recommended a 72" x 44 pitch prop with a 1.6 -1 reduction, but if you realy wanted total BUSH performace, Swing a 84" x 50 inch prop and expect 500lbs thrust at take off.  The top end speed will suffer as 80 mph my be top speed due to RPM limits.  That is why they recommend the 72" prop for aircraft that cruise less than 120mph.

My problem right now is time to fabricate a mount for this engine.  I plan on contacting Troy this week to see when or if he would be willing to construct a mount for this engine for us and future builders.

If you interested in the 912s intallation I think the air box is must to get the full 100hp. with only the filters on in the cowl, intake air is too hot to make 100hp.  I would say its only 92hp then.  Kind of like running carb heat on a Cont' all the time.
Mark--
678-GO-FLY-HI landers

Return to “Just Aircraft”