Wing Tank Debris

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Wes
Premium Member

Wing Tank Debris

Post by Wes »

I was cleaning up the edges of my fiberglass wing tanks when I noticed some "junk" rattling around inside the tank.
Upon investigation, I found lots of chunks of hardened resin stuck on the inside surface of the tank. (see picture)
I tried fishing some of this stuff out, but it looks like I may have to cut holes in the top to get it all.
Has anybody seen this stuff in their tanks. Is it something I should be concerned with?
Thanks,
Wes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Wes,

Sorry to hear about this. I don't seem to have that problem at this time. My wings are finished and installed, but I did rattle the tanks around a bit before installation and I didn't notice any loose stuff. I would be concerned and now I wonder if some stuff might break loose later.

The pieces in your picture aren't very large and should come out the fill neck. Are there larger bits that won't make it out? I would sure call Troy about this before cutting holes in the tanks. He will be sure to suggest better ways to clean the tank and might even swap you for new ones.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
KevinC
Veteran Member

Post by KevinC »

I checked mine as well and there is some loose stuff in them as well.  Interesed to know how this turns out.
Wes
Premium Member

New Wing Tanks

Post by Wes »

Well, after working up the nerve to talk to the factory about my dissatifaction with the quality of the tanks, I now have a new set.
I hate to sound like a nag or complainer but the old tanks were "just not Just Quality".
Jamie said " No problem, I'll send you a new set, just send back the old ones when you can".
What a good outfit.
The new tanks are beautiful and now match the quality of the rest of the kit.
Note that the new tanks have a beefed up corner that is drilled and tapped for the fuel feed finger screen. - Nice!
Wes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kit # 95
b1x4nqb
Veteran Member

New tanks

Post by b1x4nqb »

Wes,

I'm glad they took care of you like that.  I'm about to lay down my $ and little stories like this give me great confidence that I'm going with a great outfit.

Thanks,
Paul
Paul, PA
Wes
Premium Member

Just Aircraft

Post by Wes »

Paul,
Welcome to the forum. I checked out the other stuff you posted, - good info and interesting.
As I mentioned in another post, the Just factory people, - Gary & May, Troy, Jamie and Natalie, etc, are really first class people and it probably was the key factor outweighing the fact that they are a small (almost startup) company. Where Rans has been around for a while and is a good sized outfit with a wide range of products (although I understand they are going to simplify their line). I have visited the factory twice and was very impressed with the work and dedication of the folks there.

The Highlander, although a new product, has a fairly substantial pedegree if you consider it's ancestry, - Escapade, Summitt, and the Avid and Kitfox series. Each airplane is different in some respects, but they all share the the same 4130 welded fuselage and aluminum spar/wooden rib wing structure. A well proven design.
Check out some of the posts on the UK Escapade group for a better history.
I have a good friend building an S-7 from Rans and I was very impressed with their documentation. They obviously have lots of experience with kit built products.
Good Luck on your venture into LSA.
Wes
Kit # 95

Return to “Just Aircraft”