reaming

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
KevinC
Veteran Member

reaming

Post by KevinC »

Ok, dumb question, but the rudder is coming up.  How are you guys reaming the hinge attach points that are so close to the rudder (and elevator) frames?  I've got ideas, but wondering what the other folks are doing.

Thanks

Kevin
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Kevin,

I bought a 3/16" (& a 1/4") reamer and, with my grinder, flattened two sides on the end so that my vice grips would have purchase. With the vice grips attached I then reamed the holes. Just swing back and forth 180 degrees while pushing down. You might wrap some duct tape around the tube so as not to scratch the powder coat.  There are many places where you will have to do this; Quite a few have weld incursions that take quite a while to clear.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
dauckjl
Seasoned Member

Reaming

Post by dauckjl »

The Vise-Grips with the reamer is what we chose to do also.  Getting the powder coating off of certaing things can be very time consuming.
 One thing that we found out after was that it isn't necessary to ream the fuselage rudder tubing holes.  Troy said to just cut the tube at an angle so it will have a sharp point.  Then just stick it in the guide and pull it through with the Vise-Grips.

Return to “Just Aircraft”