AIRSTREAKS. . . . Are They Worth It?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
stede52
Premium Member

Re: AIRSTREAKS. . . . Are They Worth It?

Post by stede52 »

Gil,
The setup is nice, however, it looks like there is a possiblity to accidently engage the parking brake with that extended handle. Because the brake is used only periodically, unless you are flying with Steve H :) , you don't really need to have it readly accessible as long as you can get to the lever. I had just recently talked to a pilot who had accidently engage his parking brake before landing and it was not pretty, but he did come out ok. Just a thought :)
Steve D N419LD
Gil T
Veteran Member

Post by Gil T »

New.jpg
Old.jpg
The old setup needed the handle if you had your shoulder harness on in order to reach it. The new setup can be reached without a extension handle. That was one of the reasons to change the location.

Gil T
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Gil T wrote:The old setup needed the handle if you had your shoulder harness on in order to reach it. The new setup can be reached without a extension handle. That was one of the reasons to change the location.
I've considered mounting my park brake control directly in front of the left stick, but I think it will still be a stretch to reach it. That's caused me to consider seat belts with inertia reels. Has anyone installed them in a Highlander?
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

My answer to the original question of this thread is: no, there probably not worth it for the majority of flying I will do but the cool factor is off the chart in my book and I will have to have them. I do plan on going mountain flying when I get mine done and there are plenty of rough sandbars here in south Mississippi to land on where they will help.
I've considered mounting my park brake control directly in front of the left stick, but I think it will still be a stretch to reach it. That's caused me to consider seat belts with inertia reels. Has anyone installed them in a Highlander?
I too am interested in the inertia reels. Seems like I have seen them in the Rans airplanes.

Later,
John Cooley
(kit #265)
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved
KevinC
Veteran Member

Post by KevinC »

Ok, now I know the answer:

Hell yes!!! :D :D :D

Amazing. These are going to be fun!

k
phat_tires_2.JPG
Highlander with new tires.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
helmetfire
Forum Regular

Post by helmetfire »

I like 'em Kevin!!! 29's on std gear, IMO the std gear looks way better than the extreme gear...if they were only the same length as the extreme gear, that would be the best combo.
Aaron
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Wow, those are phat, especially when you compare them to your old tires in your avatar.

Another area where size does matter . . .
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Kevin,
Those look good!

Let's see. How do I get those on my trike?

Be safe!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

Okay. . . I've made my mind up. My conclusion is that NO. . . they are not worth it. But that doesn't mean that I don't want them anymore, or that I'm not going to get them. I'm in a position to afford the hefty pricetag. . . at the moment. . . so I'm going for it.

I can't wait to find out what the shipping costs??? And I might be able to trade my 8" Matco wheels for the stock 6" wheels that fit the 29" Airstreaks.

Hey. . . I look at it this way. . . I saved a bunch of $$$$ by going with a Viking HF-110 engine, so I feel better about splurging on super-expensive tires.
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

bluemax wrote:Okay. . . I've made my mind up. My conclusion is that NO. . . they are not worth it. But that doesn't mean that I don't want them anymore, or that I'm not going to get them. I'm in a position to afford the hefty pricetag. . . at the moment. . . so I'm going for it.

I can't wait to find out what the shipping costs??? And I might be able to trade my 8" Matco wheels for the stock 6" wheels that fit the 29" Airstreaks.

Hey. . . I look at it this way. . . I saved a bunch of $$$$ by going with a Viking HF-110 engine, so I feel better about splurging on super-expensive tires.

Mark,

I just got a quote on shipping to south Ms. and it was less than I thought it would be. I was quoted 125.00 by ABW company for shipping.

Later,
John Cooley
(Kit #265)
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved
Gary H
Veteran Member

Post by Gary H »

Not just yes, but hell yes they are worth it! !
Will fly for food!!
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

Okay. . . . it's a done deal. I just ordered my 29" Airstreaks. Now I wanna see if I can swap my 8" Matco wheels for 6".... either through J.A. or Matco direct.
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

You're going to lov'em :D
Steve D N419LD
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

Well, FedEx showed up today with my new Airstreaks! Woo-hoo ! And I knew that he had my tires, because they weren't in a box. I guess ABW must feel that with the places their tires go, they can survive a ride on the dirty floor of a FedEx truck. The driver had me sign for them, and he couldn't understand why the sender would require a signature? "...Probably because they're $2800..." He couldn't believe it. The "wow" factor is definitely off the charts.
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
helmetfire
Forum Regular

Post by helmetfire »

Don't forget to post some pics!! :D
Aaron

Return to “Just Aircraft”