Molded Highlander windshields

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Trilander Ted
Seasoned Member

Re: Molded Highlander windshields

Post by Trilander Ted »

I checked a local film installer about lexan with film applied and he warned against it, saying it "off gasses" over time and bubbles up, then you can't clean it off. That's not for me. Ted....
Gary H
Veteran Member

Post by Gary H »

Guys, I cant begain to tell you how much difference the new windshield makes. If you are building a kit ,,, get one from Steve NOW! They fit perfect, they really make a BIG difference. I put a 1/8" lexan on top, no more rattleing and shakeing! I love it! ! Ill post some pictures tomorrow.
Will fly for food!!
Trilander Ted
Seasoned Member

Post by Trilander Ted »

Hay folks: I expect to like mine as well when it arrives the second time, UPS must have used it for a football on the way to my house!!!!! I bought some Lexan for my skylight from a company in San Diego and they advised against using UPS with plastic stock, they strongly vectored me to FedX. So, the next one will ship FedX for sure. Just a word of wisdom for those interested. Ted
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

I have also reinforced the boxes at the vulnerable corners, hopefully this won't happen again. I'm trying to keep the boxes as small as I can to keep the shipping costs down.
Steve D N419LD
helmetfire
Forum Regular

Post by helmetfire »

Steve,

Do you take PayPal?? What is a ballpark shipping cost to northern CA? Thanks!!
Aaron
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Steve,
Do you take PayPal?? What is a ballpark shipping cost to northern CA? Thanks!!
Aaron, yes I can take paypal, give me you area code and I can get you a ball park cost.
Steve D N419LD
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

How about for 207 area code, or 04496 zip?
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Code: Select all

How about for 207 area code, or 04496 zip?
Using the minumun size box I can (37x31x13) at 20lbs, UPS to a residence = $105 for ground + $30 for the box. The box costs me $20 if I buy a pallet of 5 and $10 for packing and internal reinforcing. Fedx has generally been slighly cheaper by about $5-10. Just use my zip (98014) and go to either UPS or Fedx and you can get detailed pricing.
Steve D N419LD
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

Hey Steve-

It's going to be awhile until I need it (I haven't started building my kit yet), but I'm going to go ahead and order a windshield. I'll call you later to get payment details. I'm in Ohio, so I've got to wait for time to catch up to your part of the country.
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

What info do you need to send a windshield and how do you want payment?
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Max, Danerazz
I've gone thru my first batch of 10 windshields already (which somewhat surprised me :shock: :D :) ) so I'll be making more in a couple weeks. What really helps me keep track of the orders is an email from you stating what you want (windshield, panels or pulley covers). Also include your ship to address, phone # and I'll get you a quote of the shipping costs.

I've made a new mold for the pulley covers which has a much smoother transition from the cover to the surface so I'm anxious to see how they look. Also working on a new mold for the transition panels which will give a little more length to work with. I'll post pics when I get them done.

Email to: stede52@comcast.net

Thanks guys for your support :)
Steve D N419LD
sixmiddlefloor

Post by sixmiddlefloor »

Forgive me my ignorance, but I read through the whole thread looking for why the aftermarket windshield is in demand. Is the one from the factory somehow inferior?
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

What you get in your kit is two 4' X 8' sheets of 1/16" lexan for the doors, windshield and sunroof. The molded windshields are just another option for pilots. Personally I don't like the thin Lexan for the windshield and sunroof because 1. if flexes in flight, 2. it's impossible to keep scratch free, 3. you can't get the fine scratches out of it which creates haze and it crazes over time (1-3 years is what I've experienced) due to the sun. These were the main reasons I decided to try molding them myself. I also like the fact that I can put a dark tint on the sunroof and still have a clear windshield to see thru. The thin lexan on the doors are fine, but without somekind of support on the windshield and sunroof the thin lexan vibrates alot!!!
Steve D N419LD
sixmiddlefloor

Post by sixmiddlefloor »

stede52 wrote:What you get in your kit is two 4' X 8' sheets of 1/16" lexan for the doors, windshield and sunroof. The molded windshields are just another option for pilots. Personally I don't like the thin Lexan for the windshield and sunroof because 1. if flexes in flight, 2. it's impossible to keep scratch free, 3. you can't get the fine scratches out of it which creates haze and it crazes over time (1-3 years is what I've experienced) due to the sun. These were the main reasons I decided to try molding them myself. I also like the fact that I can put a dark tint on the sunroof and still have a clear windshield to see thru. The thin lexan on the doors are fine, but without somekind of support on the windshield and sunroof the thin lexan vibrates alot!!!
Good to know, thanks.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Hey Steve,

Would like to buy one of your molded windshields for a Rotax cowl and pick it up at EAA Arlington on Fri. or Sat. to reduce shipping costs, if that works for you. Thanks

Return to “Just Aircraft”