Tools needed to build Highlander?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Tools needed to build Highlander?

Post by SuperFly »

I am sure this question has been asked, but I was wondering what tools a person would need to build a Highlander. I have built an RV, so I have drills, riveting tools (both pulled and driven), sheet metal tools, clecos by the bucket, band saw, drill press, stationary belt sanders, along with a wide assortment of hand tools.

Is there anything I would need that I would not likely have from building the RV?

Thanks,

Ben
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Tools needed to build Highlander?

Post by danerazz »

The only things I can think of you may not have if you have all the rv tools is the very few items required for fabric. A good set of pinking shears, iron, thermometer, brushes and containers for glue, a few reamers you may already have. I honestly think you probably have all or nearly all of he tools you will need and then some.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
GDS
Seasoned Member

Post by GDS »

Sounds like you already have everything. This is a simple item but I use it all day, every day, for applying structural adhesive and fabric covering: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/c ... patula.php I also use it as a draw knife on bondo.

I keep many rolls of high quality, 3/4" masking tape all over the shop to use for marking straight lines and masking.
Big Bear Lake, CA
Jim 541
Forum Regular

Post by Jim 541 »

We were surprised by how much we used a cordless multi -tool (high speed vibrating cutter). Also the smaller reamers seemed to get bent pretty easy and we went through a couple. Personally, I wouldn't start another fabric project with out having a pair of rotory pinkers. I got pretty good using the sizzler type but on the long runs, like on the fuselage, I think the continuous cutting ability would produce a better finished product. Remember even though the overlaps are taped over, EVERYTHING shows through to the finished surface.

Jim
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

If you search for "tool" in this Just Aircraft forum, you'll come up with a pretty good selection.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like I am in pretty good shape. Need to add a few tools for fabric, and learn how to do it. Would it be worth while to go up to Oshkosh for an EAA weekend class on fabric covering? I really have no experience in that area, other than watching over someone's shoulder at an EAA workshop for a few minutes last year.

Thanks again all, and I hope to be posting and asking questions about my own Highlander project very soon.

Ben
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
KevinC
Veteran Member

Post by KevinC »

M2C on covering classes:

If you have decided to use either the Stewart system or Poly-Fiber "type" system, get some instruction on the appropriate one. I took the class @ Arlington for Poly-Fiber and then decided to go Stewart. Both are good systems - but very different and I had to un-learn some techniques. Stewart has excellent videos and an ok manual (caution: 3 year old info!). Poly-Fiber had a great manual.

I like the Stewart System and my results turned out pretty good.

FWIW from a first time builder, non-mechanic/artisan type.

k
xpflyr
Veteran Member

Post by xpflyr »

SuperFly wrote:I am sure this question has been asked, but I was wondering what tools a person would need to build a Highlander. I have built an RV, so I have drills, riveting tools (both pulled and driven), sheet metal tools, clecos by the bucket, band saw, drill press, stationary belt sanders, along with a wide assortment of hand tools.

Is there anything I would need that I would not likely have from building the RV?

Thanks,

Ben
It's probably been said but if not I find the Dremel or equivalent to be on the A list for most projects.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Reviving an old thread . . .

Here's a tool that surprised me: the 3M Scotch-Brite deburring wheel. I'd watched an EAA video on it, and dismissed it as too expensive -- it's over $70 at Aircraft Spruce (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/t ... rwheel.php, part# 12-00875). Then I used one at the Just factory, and it was clear that I had to have one. I put it on a 6" grinder, and it's saved my hands from countless little slices during sheet metal work. It's a fine and fast edge-finishing and general light shaping tool for any metal work. We've used it all sorts of ways, and I think it's one of our favorite tool finds in this project.

Another favorite: 10" Knipex parallel-jaw pliers, 86 05 250, available on Amazon for about $60. These are perfect for squeezing 3/32" solid rivets, for flattening minor whoop-de-doos on sheet metal parts, and for use anywhere you want to grab without leaving tooth marks. I haven't found anything comparable.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
GregArehart

Post by GregArehart »

Although expensive, the scotchbrite wheel will last a long time. I built an entire RV with it plus some other smaller projects, and it still has lots more life in it. MUCH better for the metal work than a file.

Greg
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

One of my most important shop tools is this old computer. It allows me to log onto this forum and these extraordinarily helpful peoplel. I can also find specs on parts and do excel sorts through the parts list (I used to spend a 1/4 of my time just looking for parts) AND you can crank up ZZ Top from Pandora and boogie while you build ;>}
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

A tv or radio in the shop just to provide a little background can keep me working all day long.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
KevinC
Veteran Member

Post by KevinC »

A tv or radio in the shop just to provide a little background can keep me working all day long.
Yes, many a long, enjoyed weekend listening to the Mariner's loose and I made progress! A good radio or sat system is important! imho

k
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

Those scotchbrite wheels are expensive but fantastic. I have a grinder set up with two, a course one for shaping and a fine one for de-burring.

I sprung for the expensive little iron available from Stewart Systems, it has an accurate temperature controller, set it at 250 and it will stay at 250. it was ~$70. (I broke the handle off of two cheap, model airplane type irons before I bought this one)
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview

Return to “Just Aircraft”