Watertight Hinge Cavities

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Watertight Hinge Cavities

Post by jjacky »

Hi All I'm finishing up the flaps and ailerons and I'm concerned about water washing off the wing and filling up the ailerons and flaps as I cruise through a gully washer (unintentionally but it will happen). The immediate remedy is some 1/16 trailing edge weep holes but I wonder if you had any ideas on sealing up the hinge and bell crank cavities?
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Re: Watertight Hinge Cavities

Post by scubarider2 »

I learned my lesson when I had the plane parked outside and down came the rain. Filled up both sides. So got home and drilled the weep holes. No more problems. :mrgreen:
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Do we need weep holes drilled trailing
edges of the wings, flaps & airlerons?
Every bay?

Thanks!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
Wes
Premium Member

Post by Wes »

Jay,
I "Just" couldn't bear to think of my flaps and aileron L.E.s open to the rain, snow, sleet, bird guts, etc., so I went thru a lot of anxiety to figure out how to seal them up (especially after reading Dennis' story of flaps/ailerons full of rain).
I came up with an epoxy/glass layup piece that I trimed to fit each hinge well. Here's the mold and a ruff cut layup:
Mold for Hinge Closeouts.jpg
Next I had to figure out how to close that awful hole where the flap return spring penetrates the leading edge. I ended up with a horn added in place of the return spring bracket on top of the flap spar. Here is the added horn and it's composite fabric plate ready for covering: You can see the trimmed epoxy/glass closeout piece on the bottom.
Flap Return Horn_Fabric Plate.jpg
I did this before the guys came up with the nifty return-cable-pulley idea, so my cabble runs from the horn thru the top of the wing to the return spring. This is what it looks like before final assembly:
Flap Return Cable_Spring.jpg
It is now all covered and ready to fly, but I'll have to open up a couple of my inspection holes if I need to adjust or change the return spring.

This is the only pic I have of the almost finished installation (shaky cameraman):
Flap return.jpg
Wes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!

Return to “Just Aircraft”