Offset control sticks

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Offset control sticks

Post by danerazz »

Just curious, as I have no real time in a highlander, how many people have modified their control sticks so they are "offset" with a dogleg in the stick? Have seen a few pictures where this was done and am just wondering how the ergonomics are working out.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Re: Offset control sticks

Post by taildrgfun »

I offset mine back 2" on both of my Highlanders and like it real well.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

On the pilot's side we fabricated a compound, double grip with spliced "Y" sticks that looks strange to the uninformed but, works perfectly for a couple reasons:

One grip is high and gives a longer lever arm which makes for super smooth high speed operations on ROUGH water step work when the pilot is typically sitting straight up for max visibility.

The other is standard length and raked back ~2" which is more comfortable to reach when sitting back more in the adjustable seat back such as for cruise, and it is wired with the PTT, trim, and some other controls on it.

The passenger side has a rotatable stick of standard length, with all the above contols wired in and with ~2" offest that can be raked back as is typical, or rotated 180 degrees so it's raked forward for large-girth pilots.

Actually, even to the well informed, the split-stick still looks strange....
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

I did it. I originally flew with them straight and it was just a little too much reach to be comfortable after a while
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

I did the same as Rick
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Dave Krall CFII SEL SES wrote: . . . in the adjustable seat back . . .
Hmmmm -- adjustable seat back? Sounds good -- what seats have you installed?
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

SheepdogRD wrote:
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES wrote: . . . in the adjustable seat back . . .
Hmmmm -- adjustable seat back? Sounds good -- what seats have you installed?
I customized the standard seats to have 3 seatback position angles plus also fully reclining and quickly removable for adjustable camp chairs as well.

Cold-sawed off the seatback gussets flush and reinforced the existing seat tubes internally with 5" sections of solid aluminum rod both in the seat backs and seat bottoms. These reinforced areas accept lightweight brass chains on each side, with the loops of the last few links going over a bolthead sticking out the side of the seat where the reinforcing rods are placed internally, with the bolts going through the bolt holes drilled straight through both the seat tubes and rods inside. You pick the last link for almost fully reclined and work your way up to fully upright if desired, slipping the appropriate link over the bolthead on each side.

The complete removal of the gussets allow fully forward seat back folding while providing a flat surface for a mattress, with no gussets sticking up.

It is not possible to get the seat adjustability of a typical car seat in a car seat configuration AND their strength without excessive weight, so we went with this method, which gives us the high strength we need and light weight.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Great Idea Dave, Can you post a picture and some dimensions?
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

jjacky wrote:Great Idea Dave, Can you post a picture and some dimensions?
Dimensions? They're the same standard seats that come with the kit.

One brass seat chain can be seen here attached forward of the seat belt bolt, in the 3rd PIX in this old post:

STOL Amphib instrument panel and turtle hatch draw latch PIX
Last edited by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackLeroux
Forum Regular

Post by JackLeroux »

I offset mine using the aluminum provided with the kit. I started to polish the sticks on the weekend and they look pretty good.

Jack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Jack that is exactly how I did mine.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

Well. . . off-setting the joystick works well for you "flat-bellies". But for those of us that carry a bit of a contour in the belly area, I'll stick with the straight stick. Thank God my arms aren't short !
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

HA!
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
helmetfire
Forum Regular

Post by helmetfire »

Here's how I did mine. I followed JackLeroux's measurements and built a little jig to keep things identical...ended up with 1.5" offset...seems good for now, I'll know for sure after a few hours of flight time...whenever that might be 8 :lol:

Aaron
Trilander Ted
Seasoned Member

Post by Trilander Ted »

My solution for the pilot comfort "control stick" was to buy two Kitfox mandrel bent units and cut and shape, then weld, which will give the most pleasent "wrist action". I installed a right and left fighter plane type "grips" on the approiate side that relaxes my wrist and arm for either side. The upper most part of the "stick" ends up almost the same position as the stright aluminum tube. Also note that the seat "footprint" has been enlarged "for fanny flotation". I have three diferent one inch layers of foam, blue, green and pink density for great support. This means I sit higher than some Just A/C seat cushions. I'm about six foot and like 4 notches back and have two inches of foam ( green & blue ) that make the seat back "just rite". I'm still happy with the results after seven years and almost 1000HRS.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Just Aircraft”