I'm building one

For general discussion of the Affordaplane aircraft.
Brett
Topic Moderator

I'm building one

Post by Brett »

I just started on one. I am welding it together. I am also planing on doing aluminum wing ribs and skin. If anyone has tried or done this let me know.

Brett
If your not going to try, then whats the point of talking about it?
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Post by Sean_Caranna »

I know of an airbike being built with fiberglass wings. At http://www.airbike.freewebspace.com/ Never seen an affordaplane with metal wings, should be cool! Please post some pics when you can.
"I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having."
Brett
Topic Moderator

Post by Brett »

I just got the aluminum for the frame. As soon as I get started I'll put some pics. on the web. I don't think I will get going to hot and heavy until after Sebring.
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Post by Sean_Caranna »

Brett,

How much to you expect this project to cost you? I have seen a few sites that claim the affordaplane can easily be built for $3000. I just find this hard to believe. I'm sure you could find a Rotax 447 for under $1000 used, but $3k for EVERYTHING! Think you could shed some light on this for me?

Sean C.
bottleworks

Post by bottleworks »

Hey! I am starting to get ready to build an affordaplane. What did the alumnium end up costing you? I have looked at onlinemetals.com and it came to a subtotal of about $1850. What thickness is the plate for the gussets? He left out the Al plate in the shopping list.
I am Making an AffordaPlane Ultralight!
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Post by Sean_Caranna »

Brett,

How is the affordaplane comming along?

Sean
Brett
Topic Moderator

Post by Brett »

The affordaplane is on hold. I am finishing up a Ran's S6ES right now. And working on a single seat Bi plane.
The aluminum for the AP only cost me about $400 I think $1800 is WAY to much. Of course I get my aluminum wholesale.
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Hi Brett, seriously reconsider welding, it's been tried and by itself does not work. The plates are agraviting to cut out but really do give more strenght  than welding. The aluminum will crack beside the weld under stress and this will happen very quickly. I know of people who welded and bolted the gusstes and the weld still cracked.  Justmy two cents worth. Jak

Return to “Affordaplane”