Full Flaps

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
jtaylor
Forum Regular

Full Flaps

Post by jtaylor »

Hi all. We are 5 hours into testing, having a weird problem. We cannot get full (45) flaps if you are in the upper part of the white arc. It's like the handle won't catch the top slot. We cannot duplicate on the ground. I know the POH says full flaps on short, but seems strange. Anybody else have that happen?
jak
Veteran Member

Re: Full Flaps

Post by jak »

j taylor call me tomorrow at the shop. Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

j Taylor,

When Jak tells you what's wrong, please post it here. We all want to know!
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Is the flap handle flexing and binding on the "button" rod, preventing it from engaging?
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

I don't mind telling everyone I just don't type well enough to put all out here if anyone wants to call me I will tell it all and you can post it here its a simple fix. Jak
jtaylor
Forum Regular

Post by jtaylor »

OK, talked to Jak, here is the fix. It has to do with the air pressure force on the flaps pulling the cable and the flex of the flap handle. I guess it gets in some kind of bind. Pull the flap handle assembly out of the airplane, disassemble to get the side plates by themselves. Bolt the side plates together so the clearance is the same on both plates. You will be removing material from the edge of the slot opposite the ratchet slots. The removed material will be crescent shaped, sharp at the bottom, getting to about 1/8" wide at the top. See attatched picture, sharpie marked area is what is to be removed. I made the mod today, but have not flight tested it. Thanks Jak.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Hey J that may be a little aggresive and carry all the way around the top. Jak
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Another thing that will help immensly is to put on the flap gap seals and VG's. It takes both of them together to really make a big difference. Without them the air on the top of the deployed flap is a turbulent mess. With them it makes the air flow over the top of the flap and you will be amazed how much easier and better your flaps will work.

I know some don't want those ugly VG's in the way when they wash their plane but the gap seals don't work very well without the VG's.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Jak is right about what he said, I for sure do that on mine too, but if you really want your flaps to work their best and want to be able to land slower, add the seals and VG's as well.
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

jtaylor wrote:OK, talked to Jak, here is the fix. It has to do with the air pressure force on the flaps pulling the cable and the flex of the flap handle. I guess it gets in some kind of bind. Pull the flap handle assembly out of the airplane, disassemble to get the side plates by themselves. Bolt the side plates together so the clearance is the same on both plates. You will be removing material from the edge of the slot opposite the ratchet slots. The removed material will be crescent shaped, sharp at the bottom, getting to about 1/8" wide at the top. See attatched picture, sharpie marked area is what is to be removed. I made the mod today, but have not flight tested it. Thanks Jak.
Did you flight test this yet?
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

What about stiffening up the handle so it doesn't flex as much? The plate-mod seems like a solution that attacks the symptom rather than the problem.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

I had the same problem with the last notch of flaps not locking in place. Enlarged the slot for the full flap position IAW what was reccomended in this thread, and they work great now. Solid lock

Before and after shots
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

I'm having the same problem with the 3rd notch of flaps. I took it apart and opened up that area, but they still won't catch. I can feel the detent, but it won't lock.

I removed a "short" 1/8" of material, leaving the line. When I get motivated to take it apart and redo it, I guess I'll take another 1/6".

What happens if you take too much material?

I don't think I'll miss the 3rd notch of flaps during the first ~10 hours of flying.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

User GDS wrote:I'm having the same problem with the 3rd notch of flaps. I took it apart and opened up that area, but they still won't catch. I can feel the detent, but it won't lock.

I removed a "short" 1/8" of material, leaving the line. When I get motivated to take it apart and redo it, I guess I'll take another 1/6".

What happens if you take too much material?

I don't think I'll miss the 3rd notch of flaps during the first ~10 hours of flying.
I don't think this mechanism is any piece of precision engineering. If you look at what my original "Notch" looked like, it is pretty easy to gather why that cross bolt could not seat securely.

I must say, that now I have confidence in my full flap setting staying locked in. I think the plane flies a much better approach and landing with full flaps.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I know I'm repeating myself here but the other thing to do to really make your flaps work good is to put on the flap gap seals and vortex generators. You will be amazed at how much better, easier to engage, and more efficient your flaps will be. Your take offs will be shorter, climb outs steeper, landings slower.

The seals by themselves are not that great, but with VG's they are the cheapest, easiest, best thing you can do to a Highlander wing.

Return to “Just Aircraft”