Strobes/navs/position lites that have lasted?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Strobes/navs/position lites that have lasted?

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

I need some all in one units that won't burn out, both strobes and navs, any favorites that have PROVEN good in many hours of use? Thanks in Advance.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Strobes/navs/position lites that have lasted?

Post by danerazz »

I'm using the aveo flash powerburst LED all in ones. Have not actually used them yet other than to bench test, but I expect them to outlive the airplane. My father has been flying for a few hundred hours on his sonex with the kuntzelman units, they are led navs with regular xenon strobes with a power supply. He now sells an all LED unit. They are the same price as the powerburst units.

Any LED units from any reputable company should last roughly forever in airplane years. I checked the amp draw of the powerbursts and they are just over 2 amps total with the strobes on. Very light and low profile. No power supply to mount. No high voltage running through long wires to create radio noise.

Aveo also has a "lsa" system, but it is much more expensive and you can't switch the nav and strobe independently, so I'm not sure why you would want those.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Thanks for pointing out the Powerburst units, Dane. I was looking at the AveoMAXX LSA units you mentioned, but -- other than an "indestructible" lens, I'm not seeing much benefit for almost twice the money.

Anyone have recommendations on landing lights?
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Haven't bought them yet, but am planning on two aero LEDs microsun units either in a fairing at the strut/wing points or at the gear/fuselage points.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

I had an opportunity to speak with a representative of Aveo this summer and his opinion was that the Powerburst units were an entry level strobe light meant to meet the intent of the legislation for ultralights and pilots who don't really fly at night, but only want to have basic lighting for dawn and dusk. If you really intend to do any night flying, he said you need to have one of the higher output versions like the AveoFlashLP or Aveo Ultra Aurora.
Since I saw this as one of the "must-have" safety items, I went with the Ultras. They are a little more money, but man are they bright! (See and be seen!) :D

I will likely be installing the newest Microsun lights (1800 Lumuns) in the spars right at the wingtips.

-Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Well, the powerburst are pretty bright. I'm good with them for the little bit of night flying I am likely to do with my highlander.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
preacoupe
Veteran Member

Post by preacoupe »

I have the Aurora Ultras on the plane. Each wing has 4 wires: one for ground, one for synchronization, one for strobes, and one for nav/position. I have the strobes on one switch and the nav/pos on another. Pretty simple. Ran 16 AWG for all 4, but Aveo guy said that was overkill. And, you could just ground out at the wingtip eliminating one of the wires. They're beautiful and get your attention. So they're a few bucks. Since they're LED's and draw little power, I figured they were a once-in-a -lifetime install.

Also bought the Aveomaxx landing/taxi light. LED's all the way. Again two switches. I'll feel comfortable in the pattern with the landing light. I went with the Aveos if I ever want to go up with a PPL guy at night, or I figure they'll open up my market if/when I try to sell.

Dennis
christophervanr

Post by christophervanr »

We are manufacturers of LED Aircraft, Airport and Helipad Lighting in South Africa www.cnlighting.co.za

We supply various experimental aircraft with strobes, beacons, tail lights and landing lights. We can also customise the strobes for you with your logo.

Please email us for more information.

info@cnlighting.co.za

Return to “Just Aircraft”