Removing Powder Coating

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
john2
Veteran Member

Removing Powder Coating

Post by john2 »

Hi Folks,
Getting ready to start doing the mods to my frame for the new STOL gear. I have read somewhere that "gasket remover" will take off powdercoating. Can anyone recommend a name brand that they know works well and is easily obtainable? I bought a can of Rustoleum "Decal and Adhesive" remover at Autozone and it wouldn't do anything. O'Reilly's had some stuff that was similar that was for airplanes according to the label and the price was twice as high. I know I can remove it the old fashioned way but wanted someway to get into the cracks and crevices too.

Thanks,
John Cooley
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Removing Powder Coating

Post by danerazz »

I got some from autozone, worked, but not great.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

Hi John,

I have found a small wire wheel is the best way to get powder coating off. If you heat it up with a small propane torch first, it really comes off well. It has to be heated past 500* then it strips of very easily. Typically if a large piece is stripped professionally, they bake the part in an oven at 500, then pressure wash it. Keep that in mind when welding, anywhere the powder coating gets heated to 500 it will discolor and give no protection. So you have to take off more than you want to.

Troy shipped out my gear today, I am doing the same thing you are. I will send you an email privately, I want to get your phone number, so we can share info on welding this gear to the fuselage.

Best,

Ben Schneider
www.stolairplane.com
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

John,
I found that Zip Strip works well, it's used to strip paint. I brush it on and wait 15 minutes or so then use a wire wheel chucked on a drill. Where gloves because the zip strip does sting when you get it on your skin.

Gary
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Aircraft paint stripper also works, can be bought a most auto parts stores. 3-5 minutes and it bubbles the powdercoating.
Steve D N419LD
Dauckster

Post by Dauckster »

When I was at the factory, I believe it was Permatex brand gasket remover that they were using.
Brian #37 Escapade Rio Creek WI
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

Hi Folks,

Appreciate the recommendations and help. I picked up some Jasco brand "Premium Paint and Epoxy Remover" at Lowe's yesterday to try. I bought the 15 minute formula because that was the strongest they had. Got home and put it to the test. It is a semi-paste that you brush on. I put some on and let it set for a few minutes then used drill motor with a brass wire brush on it. The powder coating came off very easy and left the metal clean. I am pleased with the results and it is much easier than just using a steel wire brush or the 3M scotch-brite paint stripper that is made for drill motors.

Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved
cowboy
Forum Regular

Post by cowboy »

Post pictures of your project..plan on doing the gear upgrade when money allows. :D
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

Hi Cowboy,

I too am changing my gear to the SuperSTOL gear. I just got mine today. Best Christmas present ever! I got it all unpacked, and laid out, but have had family things this evening, and all day tomorrow. I will be starting soon, watch for updates on my website. I will keep pictures posted as I go.

Best,

Ben
www.stolairplane.com
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
Djones1001

Post by Djones1001 »

I would suggest powderstrip they have top notch stuff. <a href="http://www.pittsburghsprayequip.com/201 ... ete-guide/
">Other options</a> are available to but stripper is probably most logical
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

I checked the link. It doesn't list the PPG product. I have quite a lost to remove due my mods. So far I've used gasket remover/stripper followed by diegrinder with paint remover wheel. But there are some places you can't get the wheel. The gasket remover, is hit and miss. It depends on the concentration that sprays out.
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com

Return to “Just Aircraft”