Throttle routing through firewall

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Throttle routing through firewall

Post by gkremers »

Does someone have recommendations for the routing of the throttle and carb cables trough the firewall. In my Pulsar there was more room between the FW and carb so the routing could be somewhat of an S pattern and provide slack in the cable. Some Pulsar guys ran the cable straight from the FW to the carb and had all kind of problems with the movement of the engine pulling on the cables.

The only picture I've seen has the cables running straight from the firewall to the carbs. I would like to keep the penetrations through the firewall secure with no room for cable movement. Not sure how I can do that and still allow room for cable movement.

Any pics or comments would be helpful.

Thanks
Gary
stede52
Premium Member

Re: Throttle routing through firewall

Post by stede52 »

What engine are you running?
Steve D N419LD
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Gary call me. Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Steve,
912S

Gary
Wes
Premium Member

Post by Wes »

Gary,
I had a couple of important design requirements for the throttle cable routing:
- the best firewall fume seal I could get
- minimize the engine motion influence on cable function.

And knowing the sensitivity of carb synchronization to cable configuration, I wanted to provide a routing that didn't tug or push on the carbs.
Having two carbs on an engine that rely on a user supplied cable lashup is not one of Rotax's better ideas!
This is what I ended up with:
DSC05072.JPG
Kinda hard to see in this photo, but I fabricated clamp blocks out of aluminum and drilled appropriately angled holes to restrain the cables.
The white block nearest the coolant bottle are for the throttle cables and the other blocks are for the enrich (choke) cables.
DSC05157.JPG
So far, (28 hrs on the motor) the configuration seems to meet the design objectives.

Hope this helps,
Wes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kit # 95
Low and Slow - The only way to go!
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

I don't like the throttle cable that was supplied with my kit. One of the first steps in the Rotax carb sync is to pull the throttle cable back to it's stop so you don't pull against the carb stops. My cable doesn't have a stop (don't know if current ones do or not). and what limits the cable travel is those wimpy stops that are easily bent, which then gets your carbs out of sync. I try to keep that in mind but sometimes when when squeaking into a tight spot I pull too hard on the throttle "brake" and then I'm needing a carb sync again...
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
JackLeroux
Forum Regular

Post by JackLeroux »

Gary,

What did Jak have to say? What was your solution for your throttle cable routing?

Thanks,

Jack
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

I spoke with Jak at the factory. They run them straight thought the FW to the carbs. There is a relief bend aft of the FW to give the cable room to move with the engine. It is not an air tight seal as the cable passes through the FW. I checked with a friend that has a Kitfox and they route it the same way. My concern of course is fumes, smoke, whatever can pass through the FW to the cabin through any unsealed hole. Looking at how the boot cowl seals up to the FW I guess the space where the
throttle and enricher cable pass through isn't a big deal.

I do like the way Wes did his.

Gary
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Post by FredHoffman »

I thought it would be good to have a solid attach to the firewall and give some leeway for engine vibration too. I installed eyeball firewall fittings for the cables.

Fred
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Just Aircraft”