Wing Tip Nav Lights

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Wing Tip Nav Lights

Post by jjacky »

Hi All...I'm installing the wing tips and need to work out the mounting situation for the Aveco Nav/Strobe lights. I suppose some kind is fiberglass blister needs to be fabricated but I have zero experience with fiberglass. So what did ya'll do. Also, while I'm at it is there anything else that needs to be done... antennas, landing lights, sensors, etc. Thanks for your thoughts...jbird
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Re: Wing Tip Nav Lights

Post by SheepdogRD »

Just has fiberglass Strobe Mounts available as an accessory: http://www.justaircraft.com/page.php?14. Price on the website is $110.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Go to the EAA website and look at the homebuilt help videos, composite section. They have a videos there on how to lay up fiberglass pieces-parts like you describe as well as making up custom molds from foam. I tried their technique to make a vent for my glider. It was pretty easy and cost next to nothing.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
957DK
Seasoned Member

Post by 957DK »

I installed the Aveo LED nav/position/strobes on my Highlanders wingtips. The fiberglass fairings came from Just. Easy install and a good fit. I just roughed up the tips and used epoxy resin and a layer of glass topped off with a little bondo and a lot of sanding. Really no big deal and they look as though they've always been there.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Perfect! Thanks Guys.
christophervanr

Post by christophervanr »

We are manufacturers of LED Aircraft, Airport and Helipad Lighting in South Africa http://www.cnlighting.co.za

We supply various experimental aircraft with strobes, beacons, tail lights and landing lights. We can also customise the strobes for you with your logo.

Please email us for more information.

info@cnlighting.co.za
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I saw a VERY clean installation on a Highlander where the builder made a mounting plate the shape of the nav light base and attached it to the tip centered on the "point" between the top/bottom. They then just filled in and sanded behind the plate to make a nice transition. I wish I had a picture, ther was a small bump above the top surface, but it looked really clean and simple. This is how I am planning on doing mine.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Post by mhcrowder »

Dane,

My build partner and I are very close to ordering the fiberglass wingtip light mounts available from Just, so your comments are timely. I'm trying to envision what your describing but not quite there. Do you remember who's plane/N#? Sounds like an interesting way to do it.

==
Michael

danerazz wrote:I saw a VERY clean installation on a Highlander where the builder made a mounting plate the shape of the nav light base and attached it to the tip centered on the "point" between the top/bottom. They then just filled in and sanded behind the plate to make a nice transition. I wish I had a picture, there was a small bump above the top surface, but it looked really clean and simple. This is how I am planning on doing mine.
Building Highlander #371
http://highlander371.blogspot.com/
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I don't, but it was either at Oshkosh LAST year or sun n fun this year and somebody from the factory commented on it when I saw it.

A picture is worth a thousand words, but I don't have one so...

Picture a metal or fiberglass plate the shape of the mounting surface of the light (basically a teardrop)

Now look at the end of the wingtip. At the furthest outboard point of the tip, right on the edge where it rolls over from the bottom to the top (the "point") mount the plate centered vertically on that point. Fill in behind it top and bottom to fair it in to the wingtip and mount the light.

I'll take a picture sowing position, but I have not actually mounted them yet so the filler will not be there. Have to use some imagination. It actually ends up looking really clean (though my tips are super dusty).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Post by mhcrowder »

Got it....and I like it!

==
Michael
Building Highlander #371
http://highlander371.blogspot.com/

Return to “Just Aircraft”