Greetings to other XL builders from East / Central Missouri

For general discussion of the Zenith Aircraft CH-601 and CH-650 Series
Kerry

Greetings to other XL builders from East / Central Missouri

Post by Kerry »

I am leaving tomorrow morning for the annual Zenair Open House but wanted to inquire as to how manu other XL builders are located in Missouri, near St. Louis.

I am located in Eureka MO with a farm in Courtois MO near Viburnum. I am scratch building an XL with Corvair for power. However, I must first finish a 5500 Sq. Ft. workshop that I have been building now for 14 months.

I am 56 and :D a retired Manufacturing Engineer with a 20+ year background in tactical airframe manufacture. My primary focus was the developement of tooling and machining methods for 6AL4V Titanium, alloy steels, stainless steels, aluminum and similar materials found in airframes. Hopefully I can be a resouce to others with questions regarding machining and fabrication methods as they relate to homebuilt aircraft.

Previous projects included a V-6 STOL with 3.8 Ford.

I also have a Corvair connection as a long time member of Corsa and a past President of the Show Me Corvairs, The St Louis Chapter of Corsa.

To date I am aware of two other XL builders near me.

David Munsen in St. Louis and Gil Devault of Wisconsin ( and Viburnum MO).

How many others out there are neighbors or potential neighbors?

Kerry
Zenvair601

Post by Zenvair601 »

I'm on Omaha, Nebraska building a 601XL with a Corvair engine. My wings and tail parts are done. The fuselage is looking like something finally. My work can be viewed at the website in my signature. I've been at this for a year and a half and it's great to see others starting the process.
Scott Laughlin
z-601XL Plans Builder
http://www.cooknwithgas.com
Brett
Topic Moderator

Post by Brett »

Kerry
I am in West Frankfort, IL about 90 mi. S.E. of St Louis. We have a hanger at the Benton airport. I have a XL done. I am working on a KR 2 right now. And getting ready to start a Baby Ace. We are also starting a Powered parachute and a Afordaplane ultralight. We need it to test some new small motors.

Brett
Last edited by Brett on Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
If your not going to try, then whats the point of talking about it?
nickofhf

Post by nickofhf »

I am building a 601XL from plans #5607 in Harpers Ferry WV.I have 2 corair cores waiting to be rebuilt.Rite now I dont spend as much time on it as I should but I hopefully will have my PPL next wed and then I will be going full blast on the plane. As soon as its done I want to start on my next project a four place corvair powered twin:roll:
P.S. Scott I love your web site I have been there a lot. I hope to have one of my own soon.
Nick Pace
A Fellow Aviator
Building a Corvair/601XL
Sean_Caranna
Founder

Post by Sean_Caranna »

Please let us know how the open house went for you. I am thinking about an XL for my next project.
"I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having."
Larry Gatewood

Zenith 601XL

Post by Larry Gatewood »

Hello Kerry, I am considering building a 601XL, I live in Kennett, MO. That's down in the bootheel, extreme southeast. I am interested in Corvair power, and would be interested in buying a core engine, if you have a contact that has one available.

Larry Gatewood lgate@earthlink.net
N601LV

Post by N601LV »

I, too, am building in the St.Louis area. I am at St.Charles County Smartte field (KSET). I am building a zodiac 601 xl w/ corvair power. The wings, tail and engine are complete, and am waiting for slightly warmer weather to finish the fuselage. Check out my website at HTTP://www.N601LV.com

When I was in Florida last month building my engine in William's shop he spoke of coming to my hangar to have a mini night school w/ some corvair builders. If anyone is interested please email me or at least PM me. This school would occur during his midwest tour next month.

Feel free to email
Louis
J-41 Capt
CFII w/ ME rating
HTTP://WWW.N601LV.COM
Classicmark111

Post by Classicmark111 »

Hello all, a friend of mine is considering building a 601 but is concerned about the possibility of a dead stick landing. He has been informed that if the engine quits the plane is very difficult and dangerous to land. I will be involved in this project helping him whenever he needs help if he goes ahead with it. Please update us on dead stick landings. Thanks for any info.

Kim Steiner
Saskatchewan, Canada

Return to “Zodiac”