Super STOL Build Pics

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Super STOL Build Pics

Post by Familyflyer »

Here is a some pictures of some of the details on the SuperSTOL. There is not much to show how to do things so hopefully this will help others.

Where I am at today.

The firewall. I bent the bottom and added a flange to the top so there will be no rubber seal. I felt the rubber would not be very air tight. This way will allow me to silicone the backside. Makes the boot cowl very rigid as well.

Here you can see how the boot cowl fits. I lowered it as much as possible for the best view over the nose. You can also see how the front and root closer works for the wing. Just needed to be dimpled and riveted.

Here you can see the aft fairing I built. I made it twist so much that it rolls right through lining up with the root wing closure. I also added a splice plate with # 6 nut plates at the joint so the skins fit perfect. That still needs to be riveted in. I have the turtle deck forward screw fastened from the inside, so the fairing fully riveted on.

To Continue....
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Re: Super STOL Build Pics

Post by Familyflyer »

Here is the rear view of the turtle deck. It removes just like the standard.

This is the skylight area. I plan to use 090 as the thin lexan seems to flimsy. Any comments on that would be great.

Here is the tank bay. I used rivnuts into the tube at the front and used nutplates everywhere else. I also reinforced the edge of the opening on the aft skin with a bent guage angle.

Here is the aft view of the root closure.

To Continue....
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

Here is a bit closer view of the root closure. I also used Hysol when building the doors. It makes them more rigid.

Here is my trim servo fairing. I built this before I even got the kit, glad it worked. I moved the servo forward for less weight on the end of the elevator.

This is how I built the tray extension to move the servo forward.

I reinforced the front floor boards with a small guage angle. You can also see the location of the park brake.

I split the floor boards under the pushrod cover so they can come out with the pushrod in. I also added lightening holes to the very heavy pushrod cover. I may put holed in the skins, but they are so light and flimsy already.

I added a bent guage angle for the interior fabric. It should help finish it nicely.

So there you have it. This is where I am at. I wish I had these pictures when I was doing it. So I hope this helps others. It may not be all the best way, but it is the way I did it. I am just about out of things to do and then covering will begin. I am suppose to have my pre cover inspection this week, so that should allow the fabric process to begin. I have a few things to do on the wings, but for the most part it is as far as I can go before fabric.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
orenjr
Seasoned Member

Post by orenjr »

Thanks! for the update Troy.This will be a great help to me when I get there.
Do you have a closeup picture of where you spliced the floor board?
Thanks! Oren
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Looks to me like you are doing a real nice job.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

Yes Oren I can do that tonight. I think I will post wing pictures as well. There is details there that should help.

If there I any other shots people want, let me know. The plane will be all together for about one more week.

Steve, thanks for the compliment, I am trying :D
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

I don't think I have seen anyone close in around your wing root as thoroughly as you have. The metal work you have done looks very clean. It will be interesting to see what kind of numbers you achieve for your top end. You mentioned that the turtle deck is still removable. Will all the work that you are doing to fair out around the wing root prevent you from folding your wings?
Very nice looking work. Joe B
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

moving2time wrote:. Will all the work that you are doing to fair out around the wing root prevent you from folding your wings?
Very nice looking work. Joe B
The closures are riveted to the turtle deck and removes completly with the turtle deck. It slides right out, so the wings can still be folded. I riveted a nut plate to the turtle deck at the front so those two screws are installed from the inside. That way it is still quick to remove.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Troy,
Looks like your doing a very nice job. I like the firewall to boot cowl idea. Did you bend the flange at a 90 degree angle and flute? What gauge and type material did you use.

Thanks
Gary
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

gkremers wrote:Troy,
Looks like your doing a very nice job. I like the firewall to boot cowl idea. Did you bend the flange at a 90 degree angle and flute? What gauge and type material did you use.

Thanks
Gary
Yes I bent it 90 degree with 032 Aluminum material and fluted it. It would be best as 016-020 stainless. My thoughts were the aluminum is still superior to the rubber and seals much better. I had to cut teeth for the small tight turn at the end to curve it around. I just made a seperate short peice for that. I will be riveting the boot cowl to the flange after it is painted. The flange will get nut plates or camlocs for the front cowl attachment. If I ever need to take the boot cowl off, it will just be drilling a few rivets that are hidden under the cowl and the screws around the windsheild.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

These are some great pictures and text. Thanks Troy!
Super Stol Kit #299
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Beautiful work!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

I like the lightening holes everywhere, they really give it that light but strong aeronautical look!
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

Very nice work and craftsmanship. Keep updating!
Tombat74
Forum Regular

Post by Tombat74 »

This looks amazing so far Troy! Keep the build and pictures coming. Have you decided on a power plant?

Return to “Just Aircraft”