Highlander in Thailand

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Re: Highlander in Thailand

Post by HS-JAT »

sixmiddlefloor wrote:Awesome work on the cargo area finish. Where did you get that stuff? Who is the motorcycle guy?
That carbon look material is what guys use for re-upolstering motorbike seats over here. I bought a 7ft x 5ft piece for about $35. Covered the glareshield and cargo area with it, and will use the same stuff to hide the firewall interior, and cover the small strips next to the seats. It is easy to work with.

The "motorcycle guy" is just one of hundreds of seat repair and motorbike shops you find in an asian metropolis of Bangkok.
gyrob

Post by gyrob »

Great looking plane Pete!
Where in Thailand are you basing it? Is it strictly for own use or commercial?
Good luck with finalizing the paperwork!
rob
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

I recently started a website to help promote Aviation here in Thailand. On it is my whole Highlander / Import story to help people better understand the process (which is not really laid out well in English). Since it is about a Highlander, I figure some would be interested in it here.

Thanks for checking it out. It is still a work in progress (Along with the plane). Click "like" if you would like to know when new trip reports are posted!

http://thaiaerosport.com/import-airplane-thailand
Last edited by HS-JAT on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Really great story its good to see the planes that i build going all over the world. Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Great documemtary, Thanks.
Hope you'll post some pix/video here when you fly into some airstrips in Thailand for those of us that wish to remain off Facebook.
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

Dave Krall CFII SEL SES wrote:Great documemtary, Thanks.
Hope you'll post some pix/video here when you fly into some airstrips in Thailand for those of us that wish to remain off Facebook.
Dave there will be some videos posted in the Trip Report Section. Or check thaiaerosport youtube channel later on. I have put a couple short youtube vids showing a couple airports, primarily to let people see what the runway environment of those fields looks like. Eventually I will be flying to many.

I am still feeling things out, as "Technically" one must have written permission from the Thai DCA (FAA equivalent) to do any sort of aerial photography or filming. It is probably a throw back to some pre-internet days, and I know tons of guys filming with their gopros. Being a foreigner....different rules may apply.
Last edited by HS-JAT on Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES
Veteran Member

Post by Dave Krall CFII SEL SES »

Foriegner? What takes you live in Thailand? A little envious of you this time of year in the Pac NW....
HS-JAT wrote:
Dave Krall CFII SEL SES wrote:Great documemtary, Thanks.
Dave there will be some videos posted in the Trip Report Section. Or check thaiaerosport youtube channel later on. I have put a couple short youtube vids showing a couple airports, primarily to let people see what the runway environment of those fields looks like. Eventually I will be flying to many.

I am still feeling things out, as "Technically" one must have written permission from the Thai DCA (FAA equivalent) to do any sort of aerial photography or filming. It is probably a throw back to some pre-internet days, and I know tons of guys filming with their gopros. Being a foriegner....different rules may apply.
John Harrison

Post by John Harrison »

Good to hear your still going strong there Peter..! Did you ever end up with your Viking engines at all mate??
Cheers John H.
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

Thanks for sharing. Gives me some ideas about packing mine. Let us know when you get it licensed and flying. Cheers John
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Thinking about the guy (HS-JAT) that shipped his Highlander to Thailand, I decided to look up his post and see what he has been doing. He started a web site which I forgot about and it looks like he is working hard to improve GA in Thailand. His web site is quite impressive and it looks like he has been very busy. There is some interesting stuff on his web page, you might want to check it out. Joe B
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

If you are like me, you enjoy checking out other peoples planes and pics. Thought I would share some places I have been lately.

A video I pieced together with what a guy took on the ground took at the same time. Low pass of a skydiving airfield in the far most NE corner near Laos. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emC9m4xGRNk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Beautiful! 8)
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

Thanks for sharing Pete
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

Few more of this weekend. A little different landscape than the states.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

THanks for sharing Pete. I will be posting a lot of pictures in the next few days. Not so much about flying as I have been sorting out my runway and ground handling procedures. Folding the wing and manoeuvring it especially with fuel in the tanks was a subject not yet broached on the forums, but I do have them sorted. The current problem is that I have tall grass in my paddocks and it has been too rainy to baile them. Once that is complete I will bring in a road grader and grade an all weather strip. Hope all is well in Thailand....... Cheers, John

Return to “Just Aircraft”