Outcast Tailwheels Info

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
aerochristian
Forum Regular

Outcast Tailwheels Info

Post by aerochristian »

Hey guys/gals,
Chris Christiansen here just to update everybody on our production status. Basically, what we've been doing and what's next for us. Currently we've been busy and I'd like to thank those brave firsts that believed in me and have already ordered. For those of you who haven't, the intro price has expired. Due to demand and production costs, the 12" Outcast tail wheel is now going to be sold at $870 plus shipping. It takes a considerable amount of time, machinery and expertise to produce such a work or art, full of features. We would like to see the 12" bush model become some sort of a specialty product for those guys who want the best for their aircraft and can afford to do so. Below are some pics of a production run that recently went out.

What's next?

We've received a lot of interest for smaller tail wheels. I looked extensively at what it would take to produce these, including cost, time, and what features these tail wheels would have. Although there is demand for both a 10" and 8", we have decided not to produce a smaller model. I feel with these smaller tail wheels, there is just not the features available to warrant the price we would have to charge to produce these models. While the 12" features a nearly run flat tire, huge cushioning sidewall, 8 ply rating, with increased visibility, and no shimmy an 8" model would likely be purchased just for the no shimmy quality. I don't feel right selling a product at that higher threshold just for the shimmy aspect. I want to sell the 12" Outcast to the guys that need all those features and can appreciate the higher price line. Don't worry guys, we're not going to leave you hanging. For those of you who don't need all the features of the 12" Outcast but still want a smaller, shimmy proof, full castor tail wheel, we have you covered. Check back for what's coming next from the Outcast brand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aerochristian
Forum Regular

Re: Outcast Tailwheels Info

Post by aerochristian »

Just thought you guys would like to see a 12" in white. My favorite yet!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aerochristian
Forum Regular

Post by aerochristian »

The what's next.....

Hey everybody. For awhile now I've been receiving demand for smaller tailwheels that don't shimmy and also some sticker shock when told the price. I realize the 12" tailwheel is too expensive to try out for most. However I do believe in full caster steering and I personally prefer it over direct steering. Another benefit of a correctly designed full caster tail or nosewheel is that shimmy can be eliminated. I've been racking my brain about how I can get this technology to the masses, both from a production standpoint and a cost standpoint. There is no better tailwheel company than Matco, especially when it comes to the price. However most of you know that shimmy can be quite severe on some models once worn or improperly angled.

Introducing the full caster Matco conversion!!!!

Designed by me to be super simple to install and totally reversible. This conversion kit converts all Matco models with the latest top block, from the single arm mini's to the giant dual arms. Also converts the new Superstol kit top block from Just Air. Use the tailwheel that comes standard with the kit and just convert. Easy 15min install requiring only one 3/16 dimple to be drilled in fork. The rest can be done with a wrench and hammer. We've just finished testing for smooth steering and shimmy and the results have exceeded my expectations. Installed and frictioned correctly, this kit will eliminate shimmy in nearly all cases and give smooth consistent breakout turning. Also once you ditch your steering arms and springs, you can expect to drop about a pound. The kit includes everything needed to convert, including bearings, spacers, friction washer kit and instructions. Price is $115 which includes shipping anywhere in the US.

Just email outcasttailwheels@gmail.com if interested.

I should be at the fly-in on Sat with one if anyone wants to try it out.
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

Ok, now I'm getting interested in the offerings since I had already opted, and spent extra $, for the dual fork Matco before these self castering models came out. I had intended to use the Matco as a self-castering but if you're making a kit it must not work so well without the added on kit. Comments?

Thanks,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperStol
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved
aerochristian
Forum Regular

Post by aerochristian »

John,

I think the biggest difference is going to be consistency and smoothness. I personally know a guy that has had the dual arm matco and ran it full caster and have heard, as I'm sure you have, about gutting them or running them without hooking them up, etc. You will have better luck doing that with the dual arm as they have less of a tendency to shimmy than the single arms because the tire is centered and the system is more balanced. The single arm, I'd say no way.
Knowing this I initially thought that I'd just a throw a 50 cent nylon washer in the matco and boom I'd have a shimmy proof smooth tail wheel. Well it turned out to not be quite so easy. I did have a shimmy proof system but not a fluid one. When you run the matco full caster, you'll find that you'll have to run it much looser than is optimum to get it to turn and it'll be back there banging around. A couple notches tighter and it will be jumpy and catchy. Some guys notice this and some don't. I've seen it a number of times on various forums, guys saying they can't even tell when their steering chains have come unhooked. I've also flown with guys who were always crabbed or one wing low and never noticed.
If I were you, I'd go ahead and try it without the kit since you have the dual arm and a better chance for success than with the single arm. If your happy with the way it feels, cool. If not, you can order a kit.

Chris
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

Chris,

Everything you said makes good sense and I appreciate you being upfront about it and not just saying that I had to have your kit for it to work right.

Take Care,
John Cooley
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved
aerochristian
Forum Regular

Post by aerochristian »

No problem John. Just remember, I said it would work, not work well:) Im betting you'd end up happier just buying the conversion kit, but at least this way you'll be able to see the difference.

Chris
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

I'll start with the springs, because it's what I'm used to. But I'm confident enough that I'd like to convert that I bought Chris's Matco kit at the Fly-In this weekend. Now I just have to finish building so I can try it out.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
kilo42

Post by kilo42 »

The white yoked tail wheel installed on HSJAT.

No test flight yet, only taxi. Worked as advertised. And looks a lot better than the orginally installed tail wheel.

Will advise more after the annual is completed and we fly it.
HSJATTW.jpg
Here is a video on You Tube.
http://youtu.be/Z_bIFCgCLI4
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

Finally got to fly the Outcast tailwheel.

It rides like a Cadillac over rough ground, and handles superbly. To be honest I can't really tell much difference in it being "unchained". It does exactly what I want it to do.

The best thing is not having any clanking chains or other noises coming from the tailwheel. A work of art IMHO.
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

I have 30-40 hours on the Outcast, and I am really enjoying it. It is so well behaved and rides wonderfully over rough ground. Here is a video to see it in action on a smooth dirt strip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGgyTHGYWME
aerochristian
Forum Regular

Post by aerochristian »

Like I've always said, not only does a lock come with extra cost, installation hassle, weight, and complexity..... apparently you don't really use it that much anyways.

Quoted from another thread:
I don't think I would go for the lockable tail wheel again. My decision in getting that option was has a newbie tailwheel pilot, and for the first couple of hours I did use it. However I soloed the airplane in just a few hours, and I have not used it since.
Could I have been right? :shock:
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

HS-JAT wrote:I have 30-40 hours on the Outcast, and I am really enjoying it. It is so well behaved and rides wonderfully over rough ground. Here is a video to see it in action on a smooth dirt strip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGgyTHGYWME
That video is crystal clear and rock solid, and no sign of the "propeller bending" you get with an unfiltered GoPro. What camera did you use?
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

aerochristian wrote:Like I've always said, not only does a lock come with extra cost, installation hassle, weight, and complexity..... apparently you don't really use it that much anyways.

Quoted from another thread:
I don't think I would go for the lockable tail wheel again. My decision in getting that option was has a newbie tailwheel pilot, and for the first couple of hours I did use it. However I soloed the airplane in just a few hours, and I have not used it since.
Could I have been right? :shock:
I guess I can understand why a nose wheel pilot wouldn't understand the safety aspect of the lockable option :roll: Anyone who has flown nose wheels know that take-offs and landings in crosswinds is like flying in auto pilot, pretty much a non-event compared to a taildragger, especially a Highlander :wink: The one and only time the lock would save you in a crosswind would be worth the extra few bucks, after all what kind of price do you put on a little extra safety?

I think it's quite unprofessional to include only a part of John's comment which benefits you, especially since John did clarify his comment before you made this post.
Steve D N419LD
aerochristian
Forum Regular

Post by aerochristian »

Unprofessional? Give me a break. Steve, you do realize this is a loose internet forum where guys crack jokes, get in online fights, use emoticons profusely and everyone occasionally deals with some kind of kitchen cabinet company. Professional, it is not. I highly doubt the intent of The Wings Forum was even for sales pitches, now that I think about it.

Look man you can make negative personal comments all you want, but it doesn't take away from the fact that he said what he said, and quite honestly and bravely too I might add. What exactly did he need to clarify anyways. If the guy says he doesn't use the lock.....Then he doesn't use the lock.

Did I miss the post where he all of the sudden changed his mind and now uses the lock all the time?

I pride myself in being an upfront guy. You want a honest answer, just ask, even if it costs me a sale. I've always said that I think the experimental world specifically needs more straight talk and less sales pitch. I have routinely advised people to buy other tailwheels if I feel like it suits them better, including the Tundra. And the same goes for things that I don't think will suit them better. The lock just happens to be one of um.

I can't help it that you have so much against us nosewheel pilots. But since you keep bringing it up and just so everyone doesn't freak out that they bought a tailwheel from a "nosewheel" guy, here's a little more about my experience flying tailwheels. Could I jump in and fly a pitts in a stiff crosswind. No way. Wouldn't even want to try. But I did get my start in a tailwheel and actually, now that I look back at it, have quite alot of time in them.

Self designed ultralight taildragger: 180+ hours (in front of a tailwheel i designed when I was 19 no less)
Piper cub: 3+ hours
Supercub: 1+ hour
Ryan PT-22: 1+ hour
Stearman: 1+ hour
Custom Sonerai: 5+hours (try wheel landings at 85mph and control reversals on takeoff due to an opposite spinning prop)
Rans S-7: 2+ hours (in front of my current tailwheel no less...and by the way, probably the most docile of any I have tried landing)
Highlander: 4+hours

I fly nosewheels by choice not because I can't fly a taildragger. Again, am I rusty, sure. I should have kept up with it. But I didn't. The call of the nosewheel and its auto pilot landings were too much to pass up.

By the way, one of these days, im going to go back, carefully read all your forum posts and count how many times you actually wrote..... "especially a Highlander".

I wonder if the factory gets irritated at how many times you remind everyone that a Highlander, specifically, is harder to handle.

Chris

Return to “Just Aircraft”