angle of attack

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
orenjr
Seasoned Member

angle of attack

Post by orenjr »

I am installing a Dynon 10" Skyview in my Superstol and am wandering if an aoa pitot tube would be recommended?
Any opinions would be appreciated.
Also if anyone would have pictures of there pitot mount would be appreciated.
Thanks! Oren
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Re: angle of attack

Post by Familyflyer »

Here is a shot of my mount. The nut plates are so the cover, which the mast will be attached to, is removable. This is for future as I do not plan to add an AOA right now. I do not think I need it. I really think it will be barking "Angle Angle Push" all the time on an approach if you fly it like Troy. I could be wrong though. I am just not sure it will be sensitive enough at such a high AOA. The real high AOA happens so close to the ground and I really think you are flying be feel then and the use of your peripheral vision for the touch down. Highlander yes, Superstol, I think it will not be of much use. Hopefully someone out there has real world SuperSTOL AOA experience.

Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

And the other side.

Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

Orenjr...

I have installed a Dynon AOA pitot in my airplane. I have not flown it, nor have I ever flown an AOA in any plane. I bought a used Dynon D180, and it included the AOA pitot tube. I was on the fence about installing it as I agree with Troy Branch, I dont know that it will be necessary, nor even work properly with this airplane and its flight attitude on approach. I talked to several people with experience with AOA, as well as Dynon themselves. No one had an answer as to wether this would work or not. Dynon told me it might. But they have no experience with it in this extreme of attitude. It was designed and built with more traditional angles in mind. The Dynon guy said, "When you get it flying, let us know how it does." I found that sort of comical. I was still on the fence about installing it, but decided, what the heck. Cant hurt. My website is way out of date, but I'll try to get some of my pictures of the mounting of it on there soon. If you need some pics sooner than that, contact me via my website, and I can email some directly to you. I have not had much luck posting pics on the forum.
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

I have the Dynon D180 and installed the AOL pitot. I wouldn't next time. Part of the calibration procedure required a break stall with no throttle then full throttle with and without flaps. Full power I couldn't get the airplane to do anything but mush. I never could get it it calibrated to my satisfaction so I don't use it. The stall on this plane is so mellow and so predictable it would be hard for one to sneak up on you.
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
orenjr
Seasoned Member

Post by orenjr »

Thanks! Everyone for your input.
I believe I will just put in a standard pitot tube.
Oren
PS Troy and Ben I really appreciate your web pages they help a lot .
BRS
Forum Regular

Post by BRS »

I have the Dynon skyview and an AOA in Steve's old Highlander. I'd say yes put it in. It was easy to calibrate and oh so useful on short field landings. My Highlander stalls at 30 mph (when light), the AOA is fed into the audio system (not much use otherwise) and starts to beep at 38-45 mph depending on weight. The closer I get to stall, the faster it beeps. I don't even have to look at the airspeed on final. At least once while not completely focused, it started to beep and I hadn't realized I was that slow. It was a non-issue but If I didn't have it (and the audio) working I could have been unpleasantly surprised.

The AOA is a really nice tool that you will miss once you get used to flying it.
Gil T
Veteran Member

Post by Gil T »

I don't know about the Super STOL but I have used the AOA in my Highlander for a few years and I am very pleased with it. It can be used to set up your best angle of climb or best rate of climb which can vary all over the place with the different loads we can put in our planes. And yes I like the little beep beep that tells me I should be on the ground shortly. Do a search on the forum and you will have many different thoughts and ideas on it. The Dynon AOA is easy to calibrate and use. Not required but another tool to help us fly safely.

Gil T
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

A friend had one in his zenair 701 and loved it. I personally wouldnt spend a lot of money to add one, but it sounds like it is not a bid dollar deal in your case. So I would do it.

Highlanders have such great slow flight characteristics that it would make one believe we dont need an AOA instrument. But when you consider how we use these airplanes, it probably makes a lot of sense to have one.

As a side note, if I were flying a fast high performance aircraft (like a Glasair 3) I would most definitely want an AOA instrument.

Return to “Just Aircraft”