New to the Highlander

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
MarkZ
Forum Regular

Re: New to the Highlander

Post by MarkZ »

I spent the day looking at our new plane and it really looks good. I don't think it has ever flown with wheels and I'm not impressed with the Matco pneumatic tailwheel. We did get expert advise on burping the sump and starting procedures. The little engine ran like a dream. I'll admit to working around F-16 production and have to remind myself that this is an armature built kitplane. It is a wonderful airplane and I cannot wait to get it insured and go fly. We will make various clean up projects like adding adel clamps and rerouting fuel lines/electrical wiring and tweak it to our specs and I'll give my unbiased opinion. I'm open to all advise on how to make this one of the best Highlanders flying.
Thanks
MZ
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

There are numerous postings about good tailwheel options, I use the one designed by Jim Pekola and like it. Mine is the non-locking version. I tried a lot of tricks but couldn't eliminate shimmy with the Matco.

Back to your question about Rotax, the engine was designed to turn high RPM. I rarely go below 5000 unless setting up a long descent or approach to landing, which I do below 3000.

You're not supposed to idle under 1800, it's apparently hard on the gearbox. I set the idle for around 1700, but when I'm warming it up and taxiing around I push the throttle in to maintain 2300 to 2800 RPM. If you taxi test too much at lower RPM, you could have some fouling problems. I did, but it went away after I started flying it and operating at higher RPM and temps.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
MarkZ
Forum Regular

Post by MarkZ »

Something mentioned was the throttle spring being a bit stiff and a service bulliten to change out the fuel pump to one that has a drain that evidences a diaphragm leak. I have an Aviation Products and Maule tailwheel, both solid tires, that I'll give a try. I really like the skylights that give visual clues to fuel tank quantity. It's also suggested that we put a clamp on the oil filter so we can safety it.
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

The new fuel pump is a better design than the old one. Does it have an auxiliary electric fuel pump? There are multiple opinions on the subject, but I like having one installed. I recently had a fuel flow fluctuation, probably caused by vapor lock, and was glad I had the extra pump to push some extra fuel through the system.

The throttle spring takes some getting used to if you have hours in a lycoming or continental, I don't notice it anymore.

Good idea on clamping the oil filter, I'm putting one on mine.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
MarkZ
Forum Regular

Post by MarkZ »

With the strong throttle spring you will place a lot of faith in the throttle lock; I'd much rather see something like a vernier throttle cable like that on a Bo. And yes there is an aux fuel pump. I did not observe any coolant temp displayed on the EIS, what is the consensus on this?
MarkZ
Forum Regular

Post by MarkZ »

The aileron cables on the upper surface appear to come into contact with the wing when fully deflected down. Is this normal?
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

When setting mine up, I cut notches into the trailing edge so the cable would clear. I don't know how big of a deal it really is, especially if it is touching at the very end of travel, but it is not ideal.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
MarkZ
Forum Regular

Post by MarkZ »

I just read the AOPA article and continue to think Just Aircraft might just be the most exciting thing to happen to aviation since GPS. 255CH sports a new Maule solid tailwheel and conversation with the folks at the factory have given us a thumbs up to go fly. One other thing I plan on doing is to check the torque on the prop bolts. We sport the 3 blade ground adjustable Ivoprop. I have no clue where this one is set but would think it is probably ok. Does anyone else out there have any knowledge about this prop vs any other?
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi Mark,
If you use the search feature at the upper right of the page, and enter "IVO" you will find a few conversations about this prop and others. One of the main ones can be found here... http://wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... &hilit=ivo
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
MarkZ
Forum Regular

Post by MarkZ »

Here's the deal. I'm in the DFW area and am in need of a Highlander checkout from someone who has time in type to make the insurance company happy. Is there anyone out there who can fit the bill? I promise not to scare you :wink:
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Mark,
I suggest you call the Just factory. They should have an idea who and where you can try.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
MarkZ
Forum Regular

Post by MarkZ »

Thanks that's what I'll do.
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

MarkZ wrote:Here's the deal. I'm in the DFW area and am in need of a Highlander checkout from someone who has time in type to make the insurance company happy. Is there anyone out there who can fit the bill? I promise not to scare you :wink:
You wont want to wait that long but I occasionally have overnights at KDAL. I don't usually bid them as I live near my home base of KBOS so I typically just do day trip out and backs. To make matters worse...the Dallas trip isn't that good as far as pay/productivity. With all that being said...they do show up on my schedule on occasion and they are usually a 24 hour overnight.

I am a CFI/II/MEI with a 100+ hours in a taildragger highlander. I made it out to PA once on an overnight to work with another new highlander owner so sometimes the scheduling stars do align. Sadly, I am not sure if there are more than 3(?) flight instructor highlander owners out there.

Good luck and reach out to me if you have any questions at shawn [dot] Mercer @ jetblue {dot} com

(In case you didn't know, the email is formatted like that for a reason. There are programs out there designed to search the web for email addresses to fill your inbox with every piece of spam in existence.)
MarkZ
Forum Regular

Post by MarkZ »

I appreciate the response. I have found a gentleman at KTYR who'll fly with me and he's not that far away. I'm also CFI with all that stuff but insurance wants me to fly with someone who has time in the airplane if only around the pattern once. I'd go today but we have to play by their rules. It won't be long and I'll be able to help others break the code. The owner has 3 strikes against him as far as insurance goes; 1. He's a student over 62 2. It's a tail dragger 3. It's a homebuilt. If it were in my name there would be no problem at all. Where do you typically stay on a DAL run?
gme9261236
Veteran Member

Post by gme9261236 »

Glad you found someone and great to see another highlander CFI hit the ranks.

Not sure the name of the hotel but looking out the window (across a highway) I'm looking at cowboys stadium and to the left of that I can see the rangers stadium.

Return to “Just Aircraft”