Sun N Fun 2014 short take off

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
accent air
Seasoned Member

Sun N Fun 2014 short take off

Post by accent air »

Just a small clip of a few take off rolls http://youtu.be/BUZQcYe2m2A
Kris Griewahn
Accent Heating & Air
super stol #280
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Re: Sun N Fun 2014 short take off

Post by Familyflyer »

Does Troy just have the 100hp in his green SS? I thought he was putting the 130hp Rotax in it?
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

Familyflyer wrote:Does Troy just have the 100hp in his green SS? I thought he was putting the 130hp Rotax in it?
Thanks for video. I was beginning to think no one did any filming at Sun n Fun.

Troy has the 912s with big bore kit. It's a standard 912s with resleeved cylinders and oversize Weisco pistons. Don't remember the bore size but it is quite larger than stock. I was told that it pulled more on the thrust test than a 914. There is probably some difference due to the Catto prop Troy has and I don't know all the details but it is near or better than 914 without the weight of turbo etc. Of course it will not perform as good at high altitude as turbo but still for us low landers it should be great. Another good thing is it is supposed to burn about 2 GPH less than 130hp engine. I think this engine option is going to be a big hit with the Superstol folks.
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Any idea on the approximate difference in cost for the big bore engine?
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

SheepdogRD wrote:Any idea on the approximate difference in cost for the big bore engine?
Hi Richard,

I didn't really discuss price in detail as I have a 130hp engine I am considering trading out for big bore 912s. You can give Ronnie Smith a call at South Ms. Light Aircraft and get more details.
Take Care,
John Cooley
N265JC reserved
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

I really think the Catto prop is key. The stock 912 did not do much different based on this video. Roll distance was very close it seamed, climb looked a bit better. The greater power will likely help when loaded up though. I need the turbo with many mountain strips having a summer density over 8000ft. Keeping it light is very important too. If you fly close to sea level the extra weight of the turbo would not seam worth it. But then again your wallet would be heavier. :lol:
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
MAJ MALFUNCTION

Post by MAJ MALFUNCTION »

Thanks so much for posting the video! I was hoping we'd see some Sun N Fun footage soon.

I talked to Gary yesterday - he flew Troy's new green demo plane (mit big bore) down to the event and he said he was surprised at how much better the performance in the new plane was. He said it was much more significant than he expected it would be.

I'm definitely going with the "punched out" 912 on our SS.
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

MAJ MALFUNCTION wrote:Thanks so much for posting the video! I was hoping we'd see some Sun N Fun footage soon.

I talked to Gary yesterday - he flew Troy's new green demo plane (mit big bore) down to the event and he said he was surprised at how much better the performance in the new plane was. He said it was much more significant than he expected it would be.

I'm definitely going with the "punched out" 912 on our SS.

While talking with Ronnie last time I visited him he told me the few guys that have this engine have been very happy and surprised at performance increase over stock 912s. Hopefully we can get a good fuel injection unit for it before too long also.
Take Care,
John Cooley
N265JC reserved

Return to “Just Aircraft”