Wild West Aircraft

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Re: Wild West Aircraft

Post by taildrgfun »

When it's really windy it can be a little creepy taxiing because the suspension lets the plane rock and roll so much. When the wind is any on the tail I keep the flaps completely down and if it is quartering from behind it helps a lot to keep the upwind aileron down. Let the wind blow the stick from whatever direction it is coming from if from behind.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Steve, I'm guessing that you are talking about the Valdez event in Alaska. Just asking since EAA announced that they will be demonstrating the Valdez competition at Oshkosh which wouldn't be till the end of July just a few months later. Also, Did I miss a post on Billy's SS or did you just spill the beans for him! Good luck to both of you. It would be awesome to see a Just Aircraft SS win or at least place. Joe B
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I'm talking about Alaska althogh the plan is to get in it at Osh also.
Allan
Seasoned Member

Post by Allan »

Steve,

Have you got your catto yet?

Allan
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

No Catto yet. They always tell me 3 or 4 more weeks.
I called Prince Propellors 2 weeks ago and they built me a new prop and are shipping it to me tomorrow. It is getting it's final coat of paint today. He will take it back and modify it if it needs but there is no time for that before Valdeze so I hope it works good right out of the box.
It is 82"x38.
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi Steve,

I think you will be happy with the Prince Propeller... the P-tip is definitely a work of art. I have the 74x51 on my 912ULS Highlander and it looks great. I'm hoping to have mine flying in the next few weeks. It's hard to see the detail in this picture, but the carbon fiber coating really looks awesome and the scimitar shape is pretty cool. It's supposed to perform like a prop that's 4 inches longer than it really is... but time will tell.

Once the final inspection is done, I will post some more photos of my plane on the forum too.

Good luck in Valdez!!!

Dan
Front View.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

Steve is becoming quite the celebrity. It's a great plane but Steve really knows how to make it sit up and bark

http://airventure.org/news/2014/140416_ ... henry.html
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

Hey Steve,

Nice little "spotlight" article on you on the main page of Airventure.org. That's what you get when you're good!
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Happy Easter to everyone! He is Risen!!
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

taildrgfun wrote:Happy Easter to everyone! He is Risen!!
Amen Brother!!!! :D
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

We just received a SuperSTOL kit that we are going to build and it will be for sale soon. Sure is a big box, all the others I picked up at the factory in my enclosed trailer.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I'm trying to get the best take off out of my SS for Valdeze so I've been pull testing and flying with different props lately. At this point I like the Catto best for extreme short field performance over Kiev, Whirlwind, Ivo medium and Prince. Cruise is pretty bad with this Catto 82-38 so I will put it in the back of my SS for the trip to Alaska and put it back on for the competition. This prop is really for the 100 or 110 hp Rotax. Catto is supposedly going to make me a prop for my 130 hp that will take off good and still cruise good. I guess he is pretty swamped with work so it can take a long time to get one of his props.

Lonnie Prince at Prince propellers is incredibly nice to work with and he makes a beautiful prop for around $1,000 less. My Prince is also an 82-38. On my plane it performed very similarly to my 74" IVO medium.
The nice thing about the IVO is that it is so quick and easy to adjust. I like the Kiev better than the Prince or the IVO because it pulls harder.

Whirlwind is supposed to be getting me a set of longer blades that I'm very anxious to try out. I hope they work at least as well as the Kiev because they are US made and much easier to get. My 69 1/2 " Whirlwind cruises real nice but lacks thrust for take off compared to all the other longer props but their longer blades may change that up.
Since I probably won't get those blades until after I leave for Valdeze I plan on running my Kiev pitched for cruise for the trip up and back.
Allan
Seasoned Member

Post by Allan »

Steve,

It is good to hear what you are doing with the props and its clear there is a lot more to it, particularly when you consider that the Superstol has a relatively large flight envelope due to Troys combination of design features.

I do appreciate hearing about your efforts, comparisons are important and it seems you are the one doing it for now! My aircraft will have a combination role - distance with often longish legs between fuel stops (here in Aussie). OBVIOUSLY I want the super short takeoff and a good cruise!!!!!

It does seem that props are getting better........

Allan
orenjr
Seasoned Member

Post by orenjr »

Steve
Have you or anyone else used a fixed pitch Sensenich Propeller on the Rotax 912/914 ?
Also would any body have performance on a Sensenich Propeller ?
Thanks! Oren
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I've never tried a Sensenich. The biggest problem with trying different props is the paying for them.

Return to “Just Aircraft”