JA 259 Completion

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Jack L
Veteran Member

JA 259 Completion

Post by Jack L »

After a two year build period I finally completed my Highlander. I did everything myself and thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the construction process. I could not have done it without the ideas and experience from those who post on the forum and especially without the help of Jak, Scottie, Troy and Steve Dentz. Thanks to everyone for all of your assistance.

It was inspected last week and I am just waiting on the administrative process to issue my Certificate of Airworthiness and than the other fun begins.

Max, the paint is Stewart Systems and the colours are Juneau White, Cruiser Orange and Midnight black.
C-FJLX.jpg
C-FJLX2.jpg
Sensenich.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Re: JA 259 Completion

Post by scubarider2 »

Simply beautiful! Great work!
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
ScottieB
Forum Regular

Post by ScottieB »

That looks really nice Jack. Congratulations! ...and let us know how well that prop works. I'm curious.
accent air
Seasoned Member

Post by accent air »

Great job congratulation’s Jack now have fun.
Kris Griewahn
Accent Heating & Air
super stol #280
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi Jack,

Your Algonquin Highlander looks great... even against all that snow! It's going to look even better on floats sitting on your lake this summer! (Hopefully with mine beside it :lol: )

Glad to have you back on the forum. :D

Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Beautiful Highlander Jack! You really did a nice job on it. And I love your paint scheme. I see your Sensenich is 72 inch (I',m guessing you ordered a 75 inch cut down to 72?) I think that will make for a nice combination, especially on floats. I haven't flown my 69 inch Sensenich on my Highlander yet, so I too look forward to hearing how you like yours.

Are you one of the guys in the group building the floats too? If you are I admire you immensely. I helped a guy rivet a set of those together once, and man it was quite the project...but end result sure was good. Highlanders make awesome float planes!

Paul
Jack L
Veteran Member

Post by Jack L »

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Paul, I didn't cut the propeller back, the part number is 3B0R5R72C, it can be cut back but I don't expect that I will be doing that. The only other three blade propeller that I know of made by Sensenich for the Rotax is the 3B0R5R68C. Troy was after Sensenich to make something bigger for his aircraft but I didn't think that worked out but I purchased my prop eight months ago and things may have changed since then.

I am working on Zenair 1450 straight floats and you are right it is quite the project but at least I don't have the gear to mess with. I really enjoy learning from all of your posts and will definitely be seeking your advice on rigging and attaching the floats to the Highlander. Bob Dimond, Dan Oldridge and myself all bought the Kitfox attachment fittings to mount our Zenair floats, they are aluminum CNC machined fittings and should work well on the Highlander as well.

Jack
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Jack,
Beautiful looking Highlander....
I'll be very interested in the Zenair floats as I plan on putting mine on amphibious floats at some point. Did you go with the pre punched kit?

Have fun
Gary
av8rps
Veteran Member

Post by av8rps »

Jack,

I guess I had better look at my prop to see what number I have. In measuring the blades from the centerline it measures nearly 70 inches, but I'm guessing they call that the 68 inch? I bought it used so I didn't have any factory options to decide. And at one time on their website I seem to recall a 75 inch, which is what Troy thought they were doing also, but maybe that never came to fruition?

Yeah, building straight floats (like the ones I helped with) is going to be less painful than the amphibs I'm sure. Using the Kitfox components was a great idea, as they are so similar. I shared a lot of info about my Highlander and Kitfox rigging with Dan in your group already. But after doing so, it appears you already have a 1450 Zenair equipped Highlander flying well, so you already have a good base line to work from. I would love to be able to share how mine is set up, but the CZ 1300 amphib is such a different float than what you have that I don't think I'd be doing you any favors. I was fortunate enough to buy my floats already rigged for a Highlander, and I know that it worked well as it was a friend I bought them from that flew his plane regularly. I got really lucky...no rigging to figure out. Just bolt them on and go :) (although I haven't even bolted them on yet, been too busy with business and such. But it's on my list)

You will absolutely love your Highlander on floats! While I love the big tires and back country booney bashing stuff (I just put some Goodyears and the extreme gear on mine), in my opinion floats are the coolest accessory you can add to your airplane. It opens up an entirely new world of flying.

Paul
Jack L wrote:Thanks for all the comments guys.

Paul, I didn't cut the propeller back, the part number is 3B0R5R72C, it can be cut back but I don't expect that I will be doing that. The only other three blade propeller that I know of made by Sensenich for the Rotax is the 3B0R5R68C. Troy was after Sensenich to make something bigger for his aircraft but I didn't think that worked out but I purchased my prop eight months ago and things may have changed since then.

I am working on Zenair 1450 straight floats and you are right it is quite the project but at least I don't have the gear to mess with. I really enjoy learning from all of your posts and will definitely be seeking your advice on rigging and attaching the floats to the Highlander. Bob Dimond, Dan Oldridge and myself all bought the Kitfox attachment fittings to mount our Zenair floats, they are aluminum CNC machined fittings and should work well on the Highlander as well.

Jack
Jack L
Veteran Member

Post by Jack L »

Gary,

I did purchase the pre-drilled kit and have no regrets. Bob Prins, whose aircraft (C-IBAD) you have seen on 1450 amphibs told me that the basic kit required as much work as to build the aircraft. I can see that now.

You should really consider the Kitfox fittings, I may need a washer or two to shim at the attach points but that will be it. The Kitfox likely requires shims as well.

http://www.zenairfloats.com/rigging.html

Jack

Return to “Just Aircraft”