Rib Stitching with leading edge wrap

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Rib Stitching with leading edge wrap

Post by FredHoffman »

For those who ribstitched thier wings, what did you do at the leading edge wrap? Start behind it? Lace the bottom rib cap only in that area under the leading edge wrap? Drill holes for the lace in the leading edge wrap? Little stumped on where to go, already rib stitched the flaps and ailerons so I guess I'm committed to doing the wings.

Thanks

Fred
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Rib Stitching with leading edge wrap

Post by danerazz »

Haven't started stitching (or covering) yet, but I was planning on gluing to the wrap, stitching behind it, and a couple of blind stitches on the bottom under the wrap.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Ewalk02
Seasoned Member

Post by Ewalk02 »

I just stitched up to the leading edge wrap, so far so good.
Brian E.
Kansas City, MO
Highlander #223
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

I once had to recover a wing on an ultralight. The ribs were half-inch aluminum tubing and the fabric was 1.8 ounce and secured with super flite green glue and fabric rivets. There was no way that I could pull the fabric off of the wing frame, once it got to the fabric rivets. I will be using fabric rivets only on my Highlander wing.
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Post by FredHoffman »

I found the answer, to stitch under the leading edge wrap use a 180 degree needle to stitch around the bottom of the cap strip of the rib in that area. Then continue on as normal when there is access to the top of the rib with the regular needle. It is a little tricky because you have pass the needle on a diagonal to the next set of holes then back through that hole and on to the set you are working on and pulling thread through and out of that row, tie your knots and repeat. The diagonal move is not to make a stitch, just to position the thread in the row you need it in.

Fred

Return to “Just Aircraft”